Futaba receiver antennas getting hot?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, thanks guys. I bought these used, I didn't see any other evidence of moisture so thought it was heat.

I wrap my rx's in a dry condom so no need for Corrosion X...

Been boating since around 1980. Not long as many. I have had leaks. And fixed them. I look for moisture every time I clean a boat up. There are things I also do like putting Vaseline in all my radio box seals. That help tremendously.

I also attach my receivers to the lid. Maximum antenna penetration through the hole. and if you keep it right side up even a slight leak will not get to the receiver.

Here's another trick I learned from Gary Preusse, spring load your switch to on and use a mini clothes pin or something to hold it off.

And don't use those "waterproof" locking type toggle switches, they've only got one contact point and are not made for vibration. If you can find one of the old Japanese "Noble" switches they are worth their weight in gold, like having two switches in one.

182086-13135-1187051987-ScanImage02.jpg

Last edited:
Terry. I ran one of these last year.. no moving parts.. so far Z E R O issues.. (can be tricky to install, ya got to get creative!)

Attachments

• 20220401_195507 (Medium) (Medium).jpg
    20220401_195507 (Medium) (Medium).jpg
    134 KB · Views: 0
Here's another trick I learned from Gary Preusse, spring load you switch to on and use a mini clothes peg or something to hold it off.

And don't use those "waterproof" locking type toggle switches, they've only got one contact point and are not made for vibration. If you can find one of the old Japanese "Noble" switches they are worthe they're weight in gold, like having two switches in one.

Never put a switch in the lid. If you just make "ON" it would be really difficult to shut it off accidentally. You gotta grab them and pull to get it off.

I have sold thousands of wired locking switches over last 10 years and have no problems with vibration. That is all about how you wire them as the quality switch itself is highly resistant to vibration. That is why I only sell them wired. There is no way for wired connection to switch to fatigue and break.
They also sell the locking switch I use in double pole so you can have two contacts for wiring in parallel for redundancy but until I hear of the single contact failing and becoming a issue I am making te the same way as the last 10 years, Silver and gold contacts don't have the issue of cheap copper sliding contacts. Those oxidize and have issues.

FpkAHPC.jpg

I got seals and custom 6061 mounts made specifically to fit the boots and they are the good rubber ones. I make double 6-32 threaded ende on SS rod with monster balljoints to go with them. Custom made to length. Just need center to center measurment.

hHxEJf7.jpg

Last edited:
Back