Futaba R334SBS antenna

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Jones

Supporting Member
This may be a question for Grim but I’ll put it out there for everyone. I’m sure this has been covered before but I can’t find the answer I’m looking for. I have the 7 PXR radio and 3 of the R334SBS receivers. The antenna length is not what I was used to back in 2000 or so when I had my 3PJ radio. In other words it’s really short. I do have some long antenna wires I got from Futaba because of my concern about this in a boat. Would you guys recommend switching the wires out or will the short wire work ok? Is it a difficult process? Thanks! Rich

I haven’t had any problems with the factory length. My antenna either sticks out a radiobox and under cowl, outside of cowl and just contained inside the radiobox without problems. If it is a carbon boat then I would suggest getting the antenna outside of the boat. I am heat racing so I don’t venture to to far from the course. Great receiver, just my experience. 🤷🏽‍♂️

I haven’t had any problems with the factory length. My antenna either sticks out a radiobox and under cowl, outside of cowl and just contained inside the radiobox without problems. If it is a carbon boat then I would suggest getting the antenna outside of the boat. I am heat racing so I don’t venture to to far from the course. Great receiver, just my experience. 🤷🏽‍♂️
Cool man good to hear.

For the record I will have some limited carbon fiber on the boat. Its a Backlash. The bait box cover will be CF plate but the radio box cover will be smoked plexiglass. I may put cf fabric in the well forward the radio box but not in it.

Rich,

90% of the time the stock antenna will work. You want to try and sure the last 1" of the antenna is sticking up out of the box or in clear air. If you have a carbon lid or carbon radio box than you definitely want to get the last 1" outside the box. On boats where the tuned pipe is close to the exit of the antenna it's a good idea to run the longer length antenna.

A hint in case you decide to swap the antennas. Be careful opening the cover on the receiver case. There is a second antenna mounted on the inside lid with a very short wire connecting it to the board. You need to carefully pop off the short internal antenna plug before separating the cases further.

Rich,

90% of the time the stock antenna will work. You want to try and sure the last 1" of the antenna is sticking up out of the box or in clear air. If you have a carbon lid or carbon radio box than you definitely want to get the last 1" outside the box. On boats where the tuned pipe is close to the exit of the antenna it's a good idea to run the longer length antenna.

A hint in case you decide to swap the antennas. Be careful opening the cover on the receiver case. There is a second antenna mounted on the inside lid with a very short wire connecting it to the board. You need to carefully pop off the short internal antenna plug before separating the cases further.
Thanks Tyler!

Rich

Richard.. its super to see the guys helping.. in saying this please ask if you need anything.

Clarence Boddicker (ok its Grim)

Back