Futaba guys question ?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Lutz

Supporting Member
I ordered a new antenna for a 4pk. It says its for a 4PK but its shorter in length than the original. Does anyone know if this is just a new version ? Or wrong antenna ? I worry it would have less range. I attached a photo. Thanks

Attachments

• antenna.jpg
    antenna.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 32
My guess would be that it's just a new version.
You have to remember, there's more to an antenna than just length. For example:
  • If you look back an CB antennas, there was top, middle and base loaded yet they all work the same
  • My cars use three different kinds of radio antennas. One has the antenna inside the rear window glass, one has a standard 24" external whip while the other two have a blade antennas, though they are different shapes

They aren't antenna's.

Just antenna tubes for the antenna to go up in.

The length is 100% irrelevant.

It is 2.4 ghz coax antenna.

The last inch of the coax that has the shielding stripped off is the only part that is the antenna. the rest is just wire.

Going to make zero difference. Slip the wire up in it and go.

They aren't antenna's.

Just antenna tubes for the antenna to go up in.

The length is 100% irrelevant.

It is 2.4 ghz coax antenna.

The last inch of the coax that has the shielding stripped off is the only part that is the antenna. the rest is just wire.

Going to make zero difference. Slip the wire up in it and go.
This is for the transmitter. No wire . It’s all built in and screws onto the transmitter.

Like Daniel said, there is only 1" on wire in side of the antenna. It does have a coax connector at the base. If you were to take it apart, you would see what he is talking about. Dont do that thou. LOL If the antenna is less than 1" then I would question it.
Mike

The base coax could be two feet long and it would not matter..

if you look into the old antenna.. into the elbow hinge area.. you will see a small "copper color wire" AND.. where the antenna bends I bet you will see a black area.. likely the trouble..

just screw on the new antenna.. your good to go.

Grim

Jeff, just to make you feel better about it.........I bought a 4pk many years ago and it had the long antenna. Then I bought a newer one and it had the shorter antenna. Eventually the old longer antenna broke and I bought a new one for the old tx and it was the shorter version. There was no range difference because as others here said, it is only the last one inch of the wire that runs inside the plastic antenna that matters. Unlike the old metal antennas you used to extend for better range in the good old days this design is one case where it is the wire that runs inside the plastic antenna that is the actual antenna.

I have spoke with Futaba . It was revised and the new Antenna is shorter. My old antenna still works but the folding hinge wore out. Thanks for the replies.

Just to throw poop in the fan.......
Having a 10 foot antenna WOULD work better for us. The signal tends to "skip" off the water at times causing range issues. I learned that from launching my own boat and just standing at the waters edge. If I backed up the hill my range improved. Try listening to a FM radio on the lake while boating.....just sayin iz all.🤪

Latest posts

Back