• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Int'l Waters and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Parts Wanted Futaba DSM Recievers.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question , what makes an air reciever an air reciever and a surface reciever a surface one in the 2.4 world . Of course with 72 and 75 there were distinct differences . Is FASST not FASST in 2.4 ?
Thanks for asking Tom,

Futaba first came out with FASST.. they had unique protocols for both surface and air (just like 75 and 72)
The FASST chip was NOT a "futaba". Remember they had been doing this for some time in their equipment control system so as i understand it they used that same chip.

The writing was on the wall and Telemetry was gaining support fast.. so.. when they designed their own chip (FHSS) they included all the necessary design criteria to include that capability. Surface and air system again did not share the same protocol.

What makes this unique is the FCC has ZERO reflection on surface or air.. so you CAN use any radio system for any use. (of course you would not use a pistol in a plane, but you could).

Not sure this helps.. For us making the switch from FASST to FHSS early on, the RX cost was far better too! (Futaba unit)

Grim

Thanks for asking Tom,

Futaba first came out with FASST.. they had unique protocols for both surface and air (just like 75 and 72)
The FASST chip was NOT a "futaba". Remember they had been doing this for some time in their equipment control system so as i understand it they used that same chip.

The writing was on the wall and Telemetry was gaining support fast.. so.. when they designed their own chip (FHSS) they included all the necessary design criteria to include that capability. Surface and air system again did not share the same protocol.

What makes this unique is the FCC has ZERO reflection on surface or air.. so you CAN use any radio system for any use. (of course you would not use a pistol in a plane, but you could).

Not sure this helps.. For us making the switch from FASST to FHSS early on, the RX cost was far better too! (Futaba unit)

Grim
So I have a few of the 603 FS and am installing the longer antennas . Still a viable reciever ? The binding process seemed to work seamlessly .

yes.. simple and easy.. the FF will serve you will with the longer antenna. REMEMBER that last 1/2" coax is the part you do not want to bend or damage. I keep mine under the antenna cap and cut off the bottom of a 4in zip tie (maybe 3/4 in or so) and stick that up in to the tube with the antenna. wedge it so it can not slip down.

That might be in one of my videos.

Be well

Grim

This thread is interesting.... I got into rc boating in 1977, at which time we were heavily involved in slot car racing. We knew what rc planes were, but had no interest in them.
We grew up with Control Line planes and built and flew several. In short, hobby shops became my 'magic kingdom's at a young age.

At the hobby shop in Grand Rapids, MI where we had slot car races once a week, I got exposed to rc boats.
It was there that I saw my first rc boat, a Hughey 21 rigged kit.
We bought it along with our first radio set.

The shop owner gave a basic tutorial on the radio end of this new affair.
At that time, Kraft was considered the top of the line product, I believe, and the price reflected that. We bought a 2 channel Futaba set in 27 Mhz, the surface frequency required for boats...aircraft was 72 Mhz, I think. This criteria was regulated by the big brother's FCC appendage.

All of the channel frequency crystals, which were color coded, we're flagged on transmitter antenna with corresponding color. It was a pain in the butt.

Every now and then, particularly at events where radio impounding wasn't employed, a heat race would occur whereas 2 boats were cut loose and they were on the same channels. Pretty funny stuff, as long as it wasn't my boat!

We got out in 1992, and came back in 2014. Bought a new Futaba 4PV, judiciously read the 'text book' manual, and was amazed how far radio sets had come. Not only that, the glitch free performance was the smile maker.

When we got out in 1992 we had a great radio, a Futaba 3 EGX and we had it modified by Radio South.
Great radio, but nowhere in the league of this 4PV.

The radio aspect of our hobby was the most challenging for me, but these new Futaba 's sure have simplified things, IMO. I know there are other good radio sets,but I'm a Futaba guy.

So, after reading the bulk of this thread I remembered this article we stumbled into a bit ago. It is a good read and not too technically challenging to comprehend....

https://www.liveabout.com/radio-frequencies-in-the-us-for-radio-controlled-vehicles-2862530
And here's one more specifically dedicated to DSM, and better applies to THIS THREAD.....

https://www.liveabout.com/dsm-rc-controllers-and-receivers-2862526

So I have a few of the 603 FS and am installing the longer antennas . Still a viable reciever ? The binding process seemed to work seamlessly .
All I run are the 603FS and they've been great. Certain boats that dictate radio box placement vs. where I want the antenna to exit get the longer antenna.

Back