fuelflow? through needle valve

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know this has been posted before but perhaps some of you could share again.
Do you prefer to flow toward the needle as from bottom up or with the needle(side toward down)
Hope the question is clear enough.
Reasons for your choice would be appreciated. I have done it both ways on different boats mostly for access.

On a different subject, after reading about castor fiber in filters, I checked some of mine as I run a fuel that has 2% castor in addition to synthetic oil and yes there were fibers in filters almost to the point of blockage in one of them. Haven't disassembled the needles without filters yet but imagine there will be fibers there too and where i have room will place filters inline.
I find most posts about subjects like that very helpful and sometimes thought provoking.
Thank You in advance
Have fun boating
Richard Hartley

I feel its always best to flow down the taper.. I have (back in the old Hobbico days) would test needles with different tips on the. It was a standard procedure to adjust and tune the bluntness of the tip when we were developing a new motor..

All of the factory systems I can remember were that way.. regardless of the type of motor or its use.

Grim

Also.. regarding fibers.. it was brought my my attention that NITRO can ALSO contain fibers.. the mixer I was involved with was filtering there nitro to 5 micron.. NO FIBERS.. ever.. so.. it could be the nitro source.. however.. the castor.. if its bean castor will likely have fibers.. so.. its a good idea to check those filters often.

No wrong way.. just keep those filters clean!

Grim

Richard
Take your flow meter and check the pressure with the tapper of the needle and than flow it the other way and the readings are not the same.
Dave

I’ve ran both ways. No issues either way, but like Dave Roach said. They flow different with a flow meter.

Thank You Guys
Going to flow some of them just for my own satisfaction
I already have flow numbers the way they are now so will try other direction
Looking forward to seeing you in Brandon
Richard

Back