Fuel filters?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry Keeley

Supporting Member
Haven't run a filter from the tank to engine forever, figured if it was clean going in and the tank was clean all would be good.

Decided to run a Sullivan filter on the dyno after getting some weird needle settings and found this after about a gallon:

full

full

It looks like lint, I've heard they filter the nitro through it at the plant. This blob (along with a hair) was between the two screens, in other words it made it past the first one. Ans that's after going through two of these filters on the way to the tank!

Who runs a filter these days? I'm starting to re-think my position on them.

Terry i have been running filters as long as i can remember. I filter my nitro and then after mixing fuel i filter again. i have a filter on my fuel can and one before my remote needle. I also have one on pressure line from pipe i was getting crap from pipe getting into tank .

I have one of those solid rock type filters on the pickup of my fuel pump.... it stops a lot of crap from ever getting into the tank.

But it still seems that dust, dirt particles and hair etc. can still make it to the needle...so I run the finest ones that I can find that are available at the time.. I like the aluminum ones that screw together with fine screen in the center over the craptrap straw type.

Oh yeah,,, recently started running them in the pressure line too after reading about metal particles coming from pipes, glow plug coils etc..

I would think it would be a must to run them with metal tanks...but I'm an old school plastic tank guy so no worries there.

Last edited:
I have been mixing my own fuel for 40 years. I use a very fine filter, similar to the one we used at the refinery laboratory to filter the methanol and the nitro methane as they go into my 5 gallon jug. After the oil is mixed evenly, I filter the finished fuel before it goes into 1 gallon jugs. Then I filter the fuel as it goes into the boat's fuel tank. I also filter any fuel left over from the previous season. Yes, Castor has some fall out over time, but when you filter the fuel that has been in storage, you will remove any of the castor that has fallen out of the mixture. It comes down to the quality of your filters.

I do the same as Al and never had a problemI filter my fuel using three finest paint strainers and filter it 5 times.

Last edited:
Always use a filter between tank and needle., flush with brakeclean after each fill up . Keeps it really consistent and from time to time especially after tanks sit for months, it will trap a few particles .

I always find some junk in the filter after a season or so. I’ve wondered if it comes from the carbon pipe. Maybe I’ll try putting one on the pressure line like others have mentioned to see if it clears up the fuel line end.

I like these dubro filters. Never had one leak and it has a nice fuel line stopper on it. After a race I pull the line, fill the tank, and plug it to know its ready for the next heat. Just don’t forget to hook the line back up when the clock starts haha...

Brian

Attachments

• D3A68F7A-6432-49EF-99C2-6F08D6218FDD.jpeg
    D3A68F7A-6432-49EF-99C2-6F08D6218FDD.jpeg
    926.5 KB · Views: 35
As I thought, different ideas on this.

A buddy told me about these (Frank mentioned them above), they have a very fine filter but hardly restrict the flow, only about 1/4 point on my old school flowmeter.

Anyone else using them?

Hangar 9 Pro Fuel Filter: Gas, Glow | Horizon Hobby

full
These are same filters I am using on all my newer builds from 21 to 101. I add some shrink tubing to the outside to prevent the knurling from scratching the motor or paint. Easy to open and clean before each race weekend.

Haven't run a filter from the tank to engine forever, figured if it was clean going in and the tank was clean all would be good.

Decided to run a Sullivan filter on the dyno after getting some weird needle settings and found this after about a gallon:

full

full

It looks like lint, I've heard they filter the nitro through it at the plant. This blob (along with a hair) was between the two screens, in other words it made it past the first one. Ans that's after going through two of these filters on the way to the tank!

Who runs a filter these days? I'm starting to re-think my position on them.
Wow, that’s significant. Good testament for fuel filters for sure!

Terry, I use a similar style filter like the one in your picture. Align Rc Helicopters makes the filter thats been in my .12 hydro for 4+ years without issue. Its light weight, and compact, the clear section lets you see if air bubbles or debris is present, but it is possible the clear part could crack? I never have had an issue, but I set mine up so it cannot contact anything inside the tub to be safe.
Align Fuel Filter (600N/700N)

Terry, I use a similar style filter like the one in your picture. Align Rc Helicopters makes the filter thats been in my .12 hydro for 4+ years without issue. Its light weight, and compact, the clear section lets you see if air bubbles or debris is present, but it is possible the clear part could crack? I never have had an issue, but I set mine up so it cannot contact anything inside the tub to be safe.
Align Fuel Filter (600N/700N)

That's cool, I really like the clear body.

Here's a link, looks like its an HN6021T: Align Fuel Filter - Trex 600N

Fuel Jugs brake down looks like white hair

I am trying to wrap my head around this.. polyethylene's, or... polypropylenes "melt" and they have no fiber in them.. if so how do they release a fiber that withstands the very chemical that breaks them down?

hum.... seems odd to me.

Grim

Latest posts

Back