Flywheel Weight ?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davetheacguy

I run Old school Picco 45's. Been running these engines since the 1979 ! They use to come with steel flywheels.The newer 45's (late 1990's) came with aluminum flywheels or some similar alloy ! Other than cost for Manufacturing is there a difference ? Yes, I know there's a weight difference. I believe it's a acceleration issue ? Some one help Me out ? Thanks dave

The flywheel stores energy in the way of inertia. So a heavy flywheel would smooth out the power strokes and makes for a smoother running engine especially at idle. But I think a heavy flywheel will also slows acceleration. I still run Picco and the aluminum flywheel works well for me. In fact, when the K&B 21 outboard first came out, I was surprised how small the flywheel was and still can idle.

Thanks,
kez

The flywheel stores energy in the way of inertia. So a heavy flywheel would smooth out the power strokes and makes for a smoother running engine especially at idle. But I think a heavy flywheel will also slows acceleration. I still run Picco and the aluminum flywheel works well for me. In fact, when the K&B 21 outboard first came out, I was surprised how small the flywheel was and still can idle.

Thanks,
kez
The rotational inertia of the crank line in our motors is barely influenced by the material of the flywheel....
The crankshaft counter balance and its "radii" also has to be considered....
That is why a K&B outboard continues to run just fine when the flywheel ends up in the bottom of the pond.
The crank counter balance and its rotating mass is what keeps the motor running ....
The main purpose of the flywheel is to start and clean out the motor.

If you wanted to try an aluminum flywheel. I have a few I use on my picco 45exr that are for a nova rossi 21. Nice smaller flywheel with a much larger bushing. Doesnt get crushed like the small picco bushing does. I am not sure if the nova flywheel and bushing fit without modifying but I am sure someone on here can speak to that.

If you wanted to try an aluminum flywheel. I have a few I use on my picco 45exr that are for a nova rossi 21. Nice smaller flywheel with a much larger bushing. Doesnt get crushed like the small picco bushing does. I am not sure if the nova flywheel and bushing fit without modifying but I am sure someone on here can speak to that.

It's a bolt on. I used the OPS collet and re-cut the flywheel for it when I ran those motors, amazing what we used to do just to have a good, reliable motor...

Back