Flow Meters

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know what it's time for ..
Pin on Familiar Places

Biggest cheat code in nitro boating, IMO
Best used as a ball park. Once you get a setup close, flow the needle. It is very useful with a third channel as you can find your current flow setting from last run and depending on how it ran you know your range. We then back it down a few points fat to “guarantee” a boat that will come back to shore, and can lean it on the race course when needed 😉

As silly as it may sound my son and I have reverted back to the old style propane style flow meter. We use prior to every heat as the day goes on and climate changes from morning to afternoon. We have the latest Roach meter as well and at times compare to see if the two styles agree on changes. An advantage of the Roach meter is that its great for pressure checking water and fuel lines for leaks.

Bill
Sounds to me that you are comparing apples and oranges .with are flow meter.

Apparently I don’t know how to use the Roach meter either, because I do the same thing..probably just out of habit. I must have missed the bad mouthing section in Bills comment. How is comparing 1 meter to another so upsetting to you, he was simply stating that’s how they use their meters. He even complimented the Roach meter and said it has an advantage over the other style. But I guess everyone reads things differently.....

When I was running MAC84s in the twin during the cold months, the propane would freeze up. Worked fine for the smaller bores. Finally got the pump pressure style so that would not happen. Most times it is used to set the twin, first build set ups, or troubleshooting. I tune the rest by ear and the third channel.
Mike

I have an old flow meter that was sold by Tidewater years ago...I connected it to a small bottle of regulated nitrogen so I wouldn't have the problem of low pressure and freezing of propane... it was invaluable for setting up twins, and all of my singles... once the boats were dialed in and not burning plugs, I kept records of the settings on a note pad and stored it inside the flow meter box...

little things like prop, different plugs, fuel percentage change should all be recorded.
Air temps, water temp, head temps, density all play a part, so the more data recorded along with the flow numbers helps keep the consistency of the needle...

Apparently I don’t know how to use the Roach meter either, because I do the same thing..probably just out of habit. I must have missed the bad mouthing section in Bills comment. How is comparing 1 meter to another so upsetting to you, he was simply stating that’s how they use their meters. He even complimented the Roach meter and said it has an advantage over the other style. But I guess everyone reads things differently.....
If you notice I deleted my post. I misread what he wrote. But all in all there is no useful comparing. With our meter or anybodies meter, get your baseline flow after a good morning and afternoon run and you are good to go. It's that simple!

It's been said that the magic of ours is when you flow in the morning after a good run then flow in the afternoon and adjust to the morning number your spot on! I guess you have to own one to find this out.

Dave and I compared your meter to my old school meter at Celina a couple years ago, yours is the only BP type meter that shows very fine adjustments (1/4 SCFH on my meter) with it's digital readout, IIRC that equaled about 3 points on your unit. The addition of water grains to the air density program is a nice addition as well.

I converted my propane meter to air with a cheap pump if interested: Convert your propane flow meter to air.

Bill
Sounds to me that you are comparing apples and oranges .with are flow meter.
Maybe so. Sorry for any misinterpretation. The Roach meter is awesome. I questioned myself when commenting on this thread at all.
i offered to market the Roach meter several years ago. I don’t sell things I don’t think are beneficial to my customers. It appeared the margins were to close to his cost to make worthwhile so he chose not to. For some reason he thought that upset me so i would bad mouth his product. Not my intent. Some kind of consistent meter is much needed in each camp. If you use a Roach meter no additional Propane costs are required nit just keeps on tickin.

Latest posts

Back