Flow Meters

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont have one ,but want to get one. From what I know, when you have your boat running great, check it with a flow meter and record setting. Conditions change but needle doesn't unless you change it. On a nitro motor conditions change from morning to afternoon especially when its a cool morning and a muggy afternoon . you can check your needle and make adjustments as needed for weather conditions and will always be spot on.

In a nutshell every setup has its own flow requirements for fuel to run well . so you run your boats get them running well then measure it on the flowmeter . Write down as much info as you can like : C- hydro , MAC engine , .012' head clearance , pipe 11 " , 289 plug looks good still shiny , H-32 prop , 60 % fuel boat runs good and takes throttle well .Now you have a baseline to check on and go to if you have to change needles etc . Atmospheric conditions are helpful also . I check my filters and flush them and put the flow meter on every tank fill between heats . After a while you know what the engine needs and if something starts happening you can always start with the fuel system . Get one , they really help .

Tom, still have and use the propane powered unit I started with at the Indy Unlimited in the late 1970's built by my friend Bob as well as my modern pump unit. Bob set the first one up for us with all the extra gauges, humidity, temperature, etc. Over the years I built one heck of a 5 subject notebook. Was easy to adapt needles to the Pawnee Reservoir in Birmingham or the low swamp here at home in south Louisiana. Another advantage is matching flow on twin or triple engine boats. I have even used it on a three deuce setup in a real car to match flow after carb rebuild. Of everything that one of the hurricanes took, that book was priceless but was downstairs at the house and underwater. Slowly building another. I recommend flow meters for nitro racers to help learn what your engine is doing and needs by the reference notes you build.

If you combine a baseline tune from a flow meter with a 3rd channel needle that you can adjust after laying down a couple of hot laps on the mill you should be in good shape. The third channel is especially useful if the boat is lean coming off the beach and doesn't want to come up on plane and you can richen it up and get going.

I have been using Boris meters for a while now and I have found that I need to let them run for at least 15 seconds for the reading to completely stabilize and give me an accurate number.

Is this why your engines run so well and last so long??????

MR. Charles Perdue for your information the engines that David Wilfong modified on my RR Twin CMB 101 and RR Twin CMB 45RS Evos , F Tunnel (CMB 67) are running excellent and not had any issues with reliability and are very fast.

Charles, what were you trying to achieve with this post? Dave is always willing to help anyone he can just like he was on this thread. You know the old saying, "If you can't say something nice..........."

And just as Julian said, I have some engines that Dave built that are very strong runners and very reliable.

I think Charles is just poking the bear but the bear likes it! If you use a flow meter constantly and record measurements. If the reading becomes different to make the motor perform its time to look at leaks or engine bearings

David, Just so we can get this straight, myself and many others on here, could care less about your projects, your opinions or your so-called knowledge UNTIL you begin to make your nonsense post on here concerning out toy boats.
Many of the experienced boaters already know how you are but some of the newer boaters do not, and they do not need your attempts at posting bad information, for whatever your reason is, to spoil their boating experiences.

Charles Perdue

He is just a bitter old man what else dose he have to do............LOL
Wonder how I should use it on the 27cc nitro eng???????
Any one have some # I can use ?????????????????????????
I got me a first design single pump Boris meter.
Come on Charles you be gods gift to Nitro boating with a list of accomplishment posted a mile long.
Help a buddy out you got me a good # to start off with?
That way when it blows up on the first run I can blame you....................................;)

David, Just so we can get this straight, myself and many others on here, could care less about your projects, your opinions or your so-called knowledge UNTIL you begin to make your nonsense post on here concerning out toy boats.
Many of the experienced boaters already know how you are but some of the newer boaters do not, and they do not need your attempts at posting bad information, for whatever your reason is, to spoil their boating experiences.

Charles Perdue

Then if you don’t care stop making these stupid post because your looking like a complete A*******. He’s not giving out any bad information.

For Your knowledge MR. Joe Warren tunes his engines by ear then used the flow meter and makes his final
Adjustments for racing that’s how He showed me when he was teaching me a rookie twin boater about tuning and racing Twin Hydros Nothing wrong with the information Wilfong posted.

get back on your meds and stay of the post of you don’t like what’s posted. Peace out

Charles Perdue
1625759158229.png
Sorry Don could not help my self......................

Latest posts

Back