Flat top or Dish

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A DISHED PISTON IS NOT DOMED. SHOULD I REPEAT THIS AGAIN ? IT CAN BE DOMED AND DISHED BUT THAT IS NOT WHAT THE ORIGINAL POSTER ASKED ABOUT. TOP FUEL DRAGSTERS RUN 100% NITRO AND DISHED PISTONS USUALLY BECAUSE THEY HAVE MADE MORE POWER WITH THEM THAN FLAT TOP. ALL BECAUSE IT BURNS THE FUEL BETTER/FASTER.

TF piston run by 99% of the teams, no dish here:

full

Good question Lohring.
My next question was about FLOW
WOULD A FLAT TOP FLOW BETTER THAN A DISH??

This is both flow from fuel coming in and flow coming from the tinned pipe??

This is according to an engineer that worked in the engine department of Yamaha.

The purpose of the piston dish, when matched to the head bowl (same outer diameters), in a two stroke engine is in use when the fuel/air mixture that is between the piston top and the squish area of the head is sprayed toward the center of the combustion chamber as the piston reaches TDC. The piston dish allows more of the fuel/air mixture to stay away from being in contact with the piston surface so that it will remain vaporized and can burn properly. Any fuel that is in contact with the surface of the combustion chamber ( being piston top, cylinder head and cylinder walls) will try to condense and be too cool to burn properly because the cooler surfaces pulls the heat from the fuel droplets keeping them below ignition temperature.

Charles

Pretty sure Steve Wood used to mill the piston to get rid of the dish on 21 motors...

There are many arguments both ways.

According to the EXPERTS (I am not one of these), the optimum dish set up is with a taper around the dish on top of the piston that matches the corresponding taper on the head squish band. This is supposed to project the spray at TDC upwards towards the center of the combustion chamber at the glow plug.

Charles

The problem with the dished pistons that I have used is that they still lighten the piston under the dome without taking into consideration the loss of thickness of the dome . Stupid . A lean run will hole the piston simply because it is too thin to dissipate the extra heat .

never,ever,ever, have i machined top of any piston to remove the dish. not enough metal left to do this. if you do that you would have to re set the liner to fix the timing you just screwed up. if every one would just pay attention to the timing numbers,squish angle, head clearance,volume,nitro %,pipe,glow plug heat,WATER flow,and PROP,PROP,and did i say PROP, oh,and set up, then you will be on the right track

Latest posts

Back