First tunnel build

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_20191120_184614.jpg IMG_20191120_184522.jpg IMG_20191120_184533.jpg IMG_20191120_184600.jpg

Alright here's where I am now. Got most of the frame tacked up with CA glue. The front foam piece is done, still missing the very front part. Should I be putting any form of wood where the foam is or will that be enough?
My cuts were far from perfect but it's all straight and I/m hoping the epoxy will fill in the gaps and make a strong bond.

Looks good Micheal...
Just a note....epoxy seal the hull center before the foam and top decking/sheeting..all exposed wood should be sealed from possible water penetration...interior and exterior.

Last edited:
Yes sir. I just have to triple check everything then that will be the next step. 2 questions... how many coats of epoxy do you put usually?
And should I be putting flotation on the sides of the center hull? I will be putting floating foam in the sponsons.

Mike

I put enough sealing epoxy to cover....usually 2 coats...first is just to seal...second coat gets spots I missed.
Foam on the sides..good question...you and I are building a similar style...my question is ...the center outer edge....will you have a sponson former..?
If yo look at my pic...I have 4 center section former....then a sponson former on the sponson 20190713_172255.jpg 20190706_110949.jpg 20190707_073351.jpg glued to the center section..
And then this gets in the question of sponson angle.

So what i was thinking of doing is, cut a piece that follows the exact shape of the sides of the center hull basically like this received_2413732988943529.jpeg

Then i was going to attach a pieces of wood to the fiberglass sponsons that also follow the shape of the inner part of the sponsons. Then joint the 2 together.
Not sure if that makes sense but that's how I was told to do it in the first place. I will need to add wood to the fiberglass sponson once it comes out of the mold as a sponson former no matter what.

Use a good untwined coat of epoxy to attach the foam ansheeting to the sanded shape. I do 2 coats on the exterior sanding between coats. You can make a filler using cabosil or use wood sanding dust to fill in your glue joints with a fillet. I would put ply caps over the sides of the centre section and if your fiber sponson are straight glue them down to ply sheet and cut them out and attach them to the centre section.

Brad

Capture+_2019-11-21-04-18-43.png Capture+_2019-11-21-04-11-51.png Michael...
Looks like your in the right direction..and I'm glad you addressed the sponson question...Brad is right on point as well..I do prefer using fine wood sanding for filler...epoxy is sometimes difficult to sand and wood filler really aids in making a non noticeable joint...im still a little curious about the sponson angle if the center section and sponson inner former are the same..or closely the same...but be sure that when final sponson position is established that both are exact....(left and right)...
A couple pics showing alignment pins before top deck sheeting is applied..
Keep up the excellent work...and we all like the photos....

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips and encouragement!
So just to make sure, what I am understanding from what you and Brad are telling me is to use wood sawdust/sanding for filler when mixing the epoxy correct? I do have cabosil on hand already but if wood sanding would be easier then I'll try to go with that.
Also Brad, what do you mean exactly by "ply caps over the sides of the center section"? sorry about the misunderstanding.

As for the sponsons Robert, I'm having a hard time explaining it without having the pieces completed. In my head it makes sense....I think! But once i make the sponsons I'll post up pictures to make sure I'm doing it correctly before gluing them down!

Yes....wood or cabosil in the epoxy...Michael
Im sure you have it properly planned out...so far all is looking very well...cant wait to see the sponsons on....it will take on a different look....keep up the good work...

I see in your pictures that you have caps but they are only 1/16. I would double them for added strength and wider glue surface for your sheeting. Wood dust or cabosil mixed in the epoxy for filler is stronger than micro balloons in areas that are stressed. Looking good!

Brad

I have found that its the building process that I truly enjoy....whether its planes or boats..and then it all comes together when the final results take to the skys or water

Hey Michael....
How is the build progressing.....?

Hey Robert,

It's been really busy these past weeks I haven't touched it since. I'm still debating the best way to go about making the side pieces for the center hull with the right curve in it. I will be picking it back up after the holidays for sure!

Latest posts

Back