FE tunnel SV vs UL-1

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuck st romain

i am building a leecraft FE tunnel right now with a 5000mah pack it comes in at 5lbs 2oz. i still have to finish (misc glue and paint 6oz) so i think when all said and done, painted it will be 5.5lbs.

is a super-v motor going to make this thing go or do i need to use a ul-1 package? i have the super-v stuff ready to go and just wanted opinions.

also wanted to give credit where credit is due KRIS FLYNN revolutionized the way FE tunnels are built. the radio-box-less method has changed the way i thought of building. this method is so easy and far better and lighter than installing a box-under-cowl set-up. thanks for being the gunni pig and sharing this with us. i would have never cut into a new hull to test this method but once i saw it done i was quick to follow. not only does kris provide great products and good prices (shafts) he also needs credit for sharing this idea. THANKS KRIS

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually my Buddy Dave Kingston was the first (that I saw) glue the cowl to the center section...I thought he was made at first but then it grew on me (he is still a bit silly though, hey Dave LOL)

On the other thing, I don't see why the SV27 motor won't get it to boogy along.

Test it out, I think an X642 will be a good start (Maybe upto a X445) and see what you think

Kris

Yeah, SV27 motor on that leecraft might be the ticket because of the weight. Those are heavier hulls than say the VS1, and the extra torque is gonna help ya out. Mike

Yeah, SV27 motor on that leecraft might be the ticket because of the weight. Those are heavier hulls than say the VS1, and the extra torque is gonna help ya out. Mike
I have a lee craft set with ul-l motor and speed controler boat was clocked at 54mph... I dont run electric anymore will sell if interested.

I have a lee craft set with ul-l motor and speed controler boat was clocked at 54mph... I dont run electric anymore will sell if interested.
What battery and prop are you running?

Actually my Buddy Dave Kingston was the first (that I saw) glue the cowl to the center section...I thought he was made at first but then it grew on me (he is still a bit silly though, hey Dave LOL)

On the other thing, I don't see why the SV27 motor won't get it to boogy along.

Test it out, I think an X642 will be a good start (Maybe upto a X445) and see what you think

Kris
Still crazy??? You know me, i change by not changing at all.

I really must be nuts cause there is over 20 boats in my trailer at the moment, and only 2 OBT's.

For the small tunnels i like the cowl hatch design cause there is not much force when they hit the water and crash. On my larger ones i make the radio box under the cowl. Just extra protection for those massive crashes.

Dave

mike - what are your target RTR weight on the wood 28 or vs1???? from what i have read i am pretty close to the ballpark with 5.5lbs. including 5000mah. just curious, i still need paint and a few misc items, it is not assembled but everything on the scale including connectors, hosed and hardware is 5 lbs 2oz so i was thinking 5lbs 8oz was realistic rtr once i use a couple sip ties and velcro..

i think i will try the sv and then the ul-1 if i am not happy with the speed.

Chuck, I will get a rtr weight on my wood28 this weekend. Your differences in motors will be prop sizes. Ul-1 will like a 4 series 42-45mm prop, where the sv will like 6 series 42-45mm props. 5.5lbs is really not bad at all. Not using a radiobox is probably where I was fooled. I am sure that saved you a ton! Talk soon, Mike

after seeing some of yours i really wanted the woody 28 but got such a great deal on this leecraft i couldnt pass it. i am upgrading from a ts2 so i am pretty sure it will be good. the only reason i am building it is to prove to my nitro buddies that fe boats can be fun. with the jae rigger and this one my point should come across. i used the ts2 to test the salt water thing and am now ready to put a little time into one. i even have a cc240 and tp 40c 5000 that are itching for somewhere to go so i considered finding a 1515 but fear it may be a little much for this boat. the xrt-120 is pretty small. we will see how it goes.

after seeing some of yours i really wanted the woody 28 but got such a great deal on this leecraft i couldnt pass it. i am upgrading from a ts2 so i am pretty sure it will be good. the only reason i am building it is to prove to my nitro buddies that fe boats can be fun. with the jae rigger and this one my point should come across. i used the ts2 to test the salt water thing and am now ready to put a little time into one. i even have a cc240 and tp 40c 5000 that are itching for somewhere to go so i considered finding a 1515 but fear it may be a little much for this boat. the xrt-120 is pretty small. we will see how it goes.
440 2 blade with a 5000 30c 5cell

Can you safely run the UL-1 motor on 5S? Just curious.

Brad

Can you safely run the UL-1 motor on 5S? Just curious.

Brad
ran several times with no issues

the motor is no problem on 5s, the esc will not last.....

at any rate, change of plans. i am going to try the 1515 1y and castle 240 and see how it goes..

I will try and weight it tonight. A 1515 1y will be a powerhouse! I am running 1515 1y castle/neu, CC240 in my woodstuff 36, and it is gps'ing at 66.2mph!. That is a 9lb build, you will do over 70mph with ease! Mike

how many cells Mike? I assume at least 5 or 6S ?

Kris,

Its on 5s2p. I am going to upgrade to the 1518 1Y castle motor this week, and try and get it up to 70mph. Should be doable. I am not even watercooling my 1515 1Y castle motor yet! Here is a video of it running @ 64.7mph. Mike

Chuck,

4S on the 1515 1y will get you mid 50MPH EASY and not hurt or push the equipment.

Mike,

Thats pretty kool, I thought you must have been running at least 5S, so 5S2P is ALOT of power...I have only just started to using a 1512 cooling coil on mine 'cause I can ;)

Kris

kris, i sent you the $$ for the adaptor and 4 shafts.

you dont use cooling on these? why not it cant hurt?

also where should i start on the prop?

thanks

Back