Fast Electric Newbie....

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldlugs

Hi folks!

While I'm not completely new to setting up R/C boats, I've never built a fast electric, and could use some advice...

What I'm wanting to build is a fast mono, converting a Microburst that was previously set up for a .21 nitro engine. Off the top of my head, it's a 33" hull, and has all Speedmaster hardware. While I love the nitro engines, there's a local lake I'd like to play at, and they won't allow fuel powered boats...

I'm looking for advice on keeping this boat at about the same speeds it was capable with using the .21 nitro; about 45-50 mph. I'm looking for decent run times, and still want the boat to handle well (go fast, turn right). Motor, speed control and battery cost are a concern, but I know speed costs...

What motor type and size will I want, and what speed control? What battery type, and cell count...? If possible, I'd like the boat to be set up to be legal in a specific NAMBA class.

Thanks for any advice!

Duane

Duane

a Neu 1515/1.5y 18 cells IB4200 and an X645 with the tongue cut will give you speeds similar to 3.5 if not faster

this is a race setup so you get 2 minute runs max

Some useful setups i have found that are quite fast

these are 12 cell setups.

70kmph

10Xl m447, x448, x450

m447 is cool and the x450 is a hot setup.

I am also going to be testing a neu motor on 12cells in a mono and see what i can get it to do. Just has to arrive in the post for me to do that.

18cells is going to more expensive than a 12cell setup.

mainly the controller and cells.

For sure and 18cell mono would be faster than 12cells, but i think that if $$ is not a problem go with 18

10XL maybe 640 prop as some where to start

nue as andrew suggested.

but if this boat is for racing, remember that it is not always the fastest boat that wins the race, rather it is the one that stays on the water. Flips and sping outs dont get you to the finish line. As you have not done a FE boat before i would suggest a mid sport setup 12 - 18cells. Since you have run boats before you should be able to drive an 18cell boat.

David

Thanks guys! So, what's the best speed control to go with that Neu 1515 motor and 18 cells...?

Also, wouldn't 18 sub-c cells weigh quite a bit in a 33" mono? With a nitro .21, this class of boat weighs around 5-6 pounds in race trim. What would the same boat weigh with that Neu 1515, and 18 cells...?

Duane

Thanks guys! So, what's the best speed control to go with that Neu 1515 motor and 18 cells...?

Also, wouldn't 18 sub-c cells weigh quite a bit in a 33" mono? With a nitro .21, this class of boat weighs around 5-6 pounds in race trim. What would the same boat weigh with that Neu 1515, and 18 cells...?

Duane

Duane,

my Seaducer FE-33 [sAWS] Q-Mono with a Neu 1515 1Y, Castle Barracuda 125 esc, Seaducer hardware, and 18 IB3800's is [6 lbs 6.2 oz] RTR

this FE-33 bare hull with clear lexan hatch cover weighted 24 oz. [before] the componets and batteries were installed...

if your Microburst [bare hull] weighs more than 34 oz. you might want to [re-think] rigging it electric...

Ron

Duane

my 18 cell electric oval baot weighs 6lb 11 oz -

with the setup I outlined on its first run it was more than comeptitive withthe 3.5's - just needed to sort the cog

Castle controllers are good with Neus; Hacker Schulze are good too as are MGM.

Keep in mind this is a race setup 6 laps and the cells dont mind ending the run - plenty left its just the discharge rate is enough to cause some heating. Never run cells flat it just damages them. If you want a qucik baot with alonger run time trya 45/55 or a 445

Latest posts

Back