F.E. motor timing

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobertDoak

Ok...being that I know very little about this section of the hobby...what does motor timing do ....
I bought a flycolor esc and the program card....its pretty straightforward...except for the timing....should I mess with it...or leave it..

Motor timing is similar to the ignition timing on an engine. The ESC advances the magnetic field angle electronically. The amount of advance depends on the motor wind type and several other factors like number of poles and stator configuration. A good recommendation for hobby motors is 10-15Degrees for Wye winds and 5-7 degrees for Delta winds. Some 2-pole motors will benefit from more advance, but you need to be cautious.

What motor do you have and what wind type is it?

So Tyler, you do not follow Lehner's recommendations regarding timing ?

Copied from the Lehner web site

"Which motor timing value should I use?
This depends on the load (small load - low timing / heavy load - high timing).
A "compromise" clock value would be 10º - 15º. "

I especially like the "heavy load/high timing" part. And notice that they do not make a distinction between Delta/Wye, And also remember that Delta, is the standard Lehner wind.

I have been using 15* on everything for the past 3-4 years. Now that I'm using mostly Castle controllers, it's 10* (I think) because that's what they are set at from the factory, and I see no need to fool around with it, since it makes absolutely NO difference.

Hey Don,

Lehner's are a bit unique compared to other motors and can take quite a bit more timing compared to other motors especially for SAW and TT use. There are 10x the number of other motors out in use compared to Lehner's so I generally quote the typical values for Neu's, Castle's, Leopards, AQ's, etc with 4-pole or 6-pole configurations.

Almost all Castle motors are Wye wind and run well with 10-15Deg of timing. You might not notice the power output change, but it will affect the losses in the motor. 10 Deg seems to be a universally good setting.

Question when you set a controller to "auto timing" does it differentiate and adjust to D or Y winds or compensate to the load.
Mic

Back