Esc programming issue (I think)

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthony_marquart

Grrrrrr.
Ok. New Seaking 180 esc and new leapard motor wired by OSE.
set up w 6s. I can’t seem to get the esc in program mode. The motor spins in reverse with reverse throttle. It will not spin up in forward. It only will run at what I guess is about 10% rpm in forward. It seems to spool up more in reverse but not much. Won’t even get on plane.
It’s the original rx/tx in the boat.

please help,

frustrated after lots of $$$$$

I would say you need to reverse two of the motor leads. if its running backwards . and then reverse servo on radio .

If it goes full reverse and only a little forward on your transmitter trigger or stick when you reverse the servo on the radio for that channel it will for full forward and a little reverse but motor will still be spinning the wrong way so you switch two of the wires any 2 on the 3 going to the motor and that will reverse direction to the motor and it will have full forward and a little reverse. I am not sure how to get it into programming you will have to google that .

Did you calibrate the radio throttle to the new ESC? This was taken from the instructions.

a) Pull the throttle trigger to the top forward position (/full throttle), connect the ESC to the battery pack, then turn the switch on; 2 seconds later, a row of “Beep- Beep-” can be heard, that means the full throttle position has been confirmed. b) Release the throttle trigger to the neutral position, a steady and long “Beep—” can be heard, that means the neutral position has been confirmed.
Note: When the motor emits “Beep” tone(s), the red LED in the ESC flashes at the same time.

secondly, I would highly recommend getting the program card associated to the controller you purchased. It makes programming the controller WAY easier

Last edited:
Running the boat this morning. How hot should the motor and esc be getting? The boat is now running but stopped after a few laps. I think it was thermal cut off. Got the boat back in and the collet had slipped. The motor was hot to the touch. Could only touch for about 3 seconds but it came back on and ran again.

Running the boat this morning. How hot should the motor and esc be getting? The boat is now running but stopped after a few laps. I think it was thermal cut off. Got the boat back in and the collet had slipped. The motor was hot to the touch. Could only touch for about 3 seconds but it came back on and ran again.

I am somewhat surprised the ESC cutout. I would guess that was a low voltage limiter that kicked in. If you can, turn that off on the ESC programming.

what is the KV of your motor?

regardless of voltage or motor KV. I like to shoot for 120 degreesF on my heat racing set ups (2ish min of hard running). However going up to 130F shouldn’t be an issue. I would suggest the Leapord line of motors are LESS tolerant of higher temps due to their cost effectiveness.

Last edited:
6s / 1650kv Leapard 4074 / 180A ESC / 5000mah 100C batteries / I don't have telemetry with my radio but I'm pretty sure it was hotter than that. It's pretty fast.

I would order the Seaking program card from offshore electrics i have tried to program Seaking esc s via transmitter and wasted hours trying to program the SK ESC with the program card its a 2 minute job ! As for the heat check your degrees of timing advance. Regards Andris Golts.

As for the heat check your degrees of timing advance. Regards Andris Golts.

This is a good suggestion. It looks like the motor you suggested is a D (Delta) wind. The general rule of thumb for D winds is 0-5 degrees of timing (controller setting) with 0 being the starting point then work up until your generating heat with no notice able performance gain.

As I stated in a previous post 1200kv-1500kv (for 6S) is the rage I recommend to those who are newer to FE. The more RPM you run the less "cushion" your going to have if something isn't right. Your turning a lot of RPM. You may want to look at less prop if you continue to have cut-out issues and motor heat issues.

Take a look at the attached document. This is general guidance for KV/Voltage set ups.

Attachments

• kv_voltage (1).pdf
    6.8 KB · Views: 24

Latest posts

Back