Epoxy not setting

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When mixing epoxy, always use paper wax free cups. I save and use my latte paper cups and buy paper cups from Aircraft Spruce. Use wood tung depresser for mixing sticks, cut them square at the bottom so to scrape up ever gram of resin. Use the 3 minute mixing rule while every 15 seconds scrape the side and the bottom of the cup. Then wipe the mixing stick off on the top edge of the cup, presoom mixing. Some aerospace company's require you to pour the mixed resin into another cup and then use.
That's funny, I have never used paper cups. I have used plastic one ounce mixing cups, like what Great Planes used to have(GPMR8056 was the number), for well over a decade and never had an issue. In fact, unlike paper cups, the resin and hardener won't soak into the plastic so I can normally use them more than once. The other nice part about the cups is that they will take full shots from the West System pumps so there's no guessing when it comes to mixing

That's funny, I have never used paper cups. I have used plastic one ounce mixing cups, like what Great Planes used to have (GPMR8056 was the number), for well over a decade and never had an issue. In fact, unlike paper cups, the resin and hardener won't soak into the plastic so I can normally use them more than once. The other nice part about the cups is that they will take full shots from the West System pumps so there's no guessing when it comes to mixing
I think he means wax coated paper cups to not use. I use plastic cups all the time and a favorite is the container that Scotch 33 electrical tape comes in.

My recommendation is to always do a test batch first regardless of method or application. I have had a batch or two not cure over the years and it's a nasty mess to cleanup.

You guys with your small cups........LOL. I use a quart jug from home depot. I cut the top 1/3 of it off. I spill a lot less this way. It is nice after a while. The excess builds up in the bottom and makes it a weighted jug. I can use one of these for months.
Mike

Whatever works, Mike. I have never needed more than one of the little mixing cups at any one time so, for me anyway, it's an option that works. The fact I can use one more than once is also a benefit :)

I’ve used Tuna fish cans forever and small plastic condiment containers in recent years.
Me too back in the day. I liked the tall cans with out the easy remove lid. They just aren't enough for what I do now for layups. Still use them for small batch stuff.
Mike

I would not thin it with anything. Anything but the two parts will screw with the cure. Get some thinner epoxy instead. Mix it very well and let it sit just a little bit before using it. You can warm it up and that will thin it also.

Plastic yogurt cups from Publix supermarket brand are my favorite mixing cups as of late.

Last edited:
I've mixed plenty of 30 minute epoxy thinned with acetone or MEK without issue and brushed on wood for sealing... I mix equal amounts throughly,, let it set for a few minutes and then mix in the thinner to water like consistency...

It may work but, at least with West's, it doesn't cure properly or have the same strength and properties as unthinned per their website

Heated Epoxy "kicks" faster so be aware.
slower curing epoxy gives a stronger bond than quick setting epoxy.
it all about giving the epoxy time to "hook" before it cures for a strong bond.
i dont even use 5 minute epoxy on a repair.
under certain conditions mixed epoxy can catch fire because of heat induced by chemical reaction, always set mixed epoxy outside in a safe area. I have personally seen this happen.
We should all wear the proper PPE when using epoxy products.

I'm building a zip kit 26in Outrigger down to the ceiling of the boat evidently I got in a hurry on one of the sponsors and didn't get my epoxy mixture correct and it is not setting up any suggestions it's been 3 days and it's still sticky. I used 30 minute epoxy and denatured alcohol to thin the epoxy. Any suggestions thanks Bob
Use Jamestown TOTAL BOAT 2 part SEALING EPOXY
Takes about 2 days to dry. It is excellent
It makes a very hard surface and sands well.

I spray PPG DCC clear directly on it after sealing

Latest posts

Back