engine temperature

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
for break in would it work mounting the motor on a test stand with a wind shield washer pump hooked up and running it to a set temp then maintaining the temp with the water?

Thanks Glenn,
I will make a fixture for machining the fins down as my lathe is not up and running yet but my mill is.
Do you have a target temperature I should shoot for?
Thanks
Matt

Hey Matt,
Not sure if this is an outboard air cooled O.S. Motor, but if it is that would not be legal for racing in the B Sport and A stock classes offered by the IMPBA or NAMBA.
Something I have seen done previously for this outboard motor is to use a heat sleeve on the head prior to running so that way the engine is already hot when it is dropped in the pond.

Otherwise, Glenn is spot on!

for break in would it work mounting the motor on a test stand with a wind shield washer pump hooked up and running it to a set temp then maintaining the temp with the water?
I tried just syphoning water through while on a test stand and it was too much water. I then added a small ball valve and got the head temp around 214. I also fried my fingers while trying to adjust it! Live and learn. ..

Gary,
That will work great. Get the temps at the plug around 160-180 degrees and that will work. Keep rich and run until the squeaky pinch is gone when the engine is cold and you will be ready for rich runs at the pond.

I use a gallon jug with a bulkhead fitting and mount it up higher than the engine and let it gravity feed through. I also use the hottest tap water I can so controlling the temp is real easy.

Gary,
I used a fountain pump from the birdbath water can be recycled back into a container. I use a coffee container it has worked well even if the engine is inboard, nitro or gas. Hope this helps. John

I don't use any water cooling when breaking in a engine on the bench for 2 tanks,,, I pre heat the engine first , then Run wide open at a rich and hot setting ,then run it in more on the lake ..

Everyone does differently.

I Always run shaft a prop,,the engine is still revving reasonably slow at WOT because it is very rich,, the fuel cools the engine.I keep temp around 200F
Its only 2 tanks then it's in the water for more run in..
Do a search here you will see videos of it,,Glenn Quarles demonstrated a few years back.

A lot of rudders you can tap for a long setscrew/jamnut from the backside.
If that doesn't work you just take half a dozen water fittings and solder them shut and drill them back through different sizes and use them in the rudder for restriction.
This is the best place to restrict the water line. Anywhere else is creating backpressure trying to blow a line or lines off their fittings. No lines get over pressure either way.

I have a car engine with a air cooled head. what would be the best fore running for fun, cutting down the air cooled head or installing a water cooled head with a restrictor ? not racing just reserecting some of my 30 plus junk correctly.

Latest posts

Back