Engine shut down

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

normlee

I dug an old cmb 90 out to run in a mono. Bearings are smooth/feel good, good compression, head clearance checked and good. Started it up on bench, all good. Tried to shut it down closing the carb - no good. Finger over carb, still just runs had to stop it with belt on flywheel. Front gasket new, carb barrel good fit, any ideas? Thanks 

Sometimes running on the bench with NO LOAD on a large engine that can happen. Also carefully check the case for a hair line crack that's sucking air. B)

sounds like the air leak problem, I use a 1/8 thick aluminum plates, , drilled one plate to cover the exhaust port, and one plate drilled to cover the carb plate, then I use my air tank, in the glow plug socket to, to pressurise the engine  in water, if it is leaking, it will show up very quickly.

mobydickk

dick jones

That is caused by a leak in the fronthousing, between the steelbushing that sits on the crankshaft and the fronthousing.
Very normal if the engine has been run with bad bearings.

Latest posts

Back