Engine Installation

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slotrc

Ive searched this forum many times looking for info on installing engine and mounts into pre mounted stringers. angle drill? special techniques? pictures? videos? all appreciated!

Go to Jim's Rc Boat Dock,,its a forum dedicated to gas boats ..someone just asked the same question a week back,,

Ive searched this forum many times looking for info on installing engine and mounts into pre mounted stringers. angle drill? special techniques? pictures? videos? all appreciated!
Is there something in particular that you are trying to do or are you asking just in general?

I put mounts on motor then use spacers under motor depends on what kind of hull I use a 1/4 jobber drill bit in collet which I put a short piece of brass tubing over the bit.Drop engine in rails with insulators on mounts get motor lined up make sure there’s clearance make sure carb is on there also some rails need clearance for carb I use a 90 degree angle die grinder with a 1 inch drum sander on it sand rail for carb clearance if needed then put engine back in draw lines around insulators with pencil then remove motor put a washer on the the line 1/4 x 7/8 for standard insulators clamp washer in place take the jobber bit out of collet put it in the 90 degree die grinder drill hole in middle of washer.

Go to Jim's Rc Boat Dock,,its a forum dedicated to gas boats ..someone just asked the same question a week back,,
well, i searched the heck out of Jims as well.. worded it many times and it never came up with mounting engine between engine rails/stringers. mostly just mounting rails in boat.

Is there something in particular that you are trying to do or are you asking just in general?
got a new Synergy Mono and rails are installed. Im sure Steve could help but was just trying this out to see different techniques and processes...

got a new Synergy Mono and rails are installed. Im sure Steve could help but was just trying this out to see different techniques and processes...
For monos I cut two pieces of 1/8” plywood and set them in the bottom of the hull to use as spacers to hold the motor up off the bottom of the hull. I measure from the inside of the transom and set the motor in the hull where I want it on top the 1/8” plywood. With the motor mounts on I use a pencil and mark three sides of the rail around the isolator. I then remove the motor and use a washer the same size as the isolator to mark the centers. Check, then double check these marks from side to side then use a 80 degree attachment on my cordless drill to make 1/4” holes. Then mount the isolators using the holes, stick the motor in and move on to the stuffing box.
Basically the same thing with cats and sports hydros. Look in the cool tool section for the 90 degree drill attachment that I use.

The reason for drill bit and brass tubing is to line the stuffing box up in hull you can slide the brass tubing back to help line up the stuffing box i do this on hydros and riggers I cut a angle on tubing to help mark the hull to drill and file the slot by hand I like a clean exit on the tubing out of hull

well, i searched the heck out of Jims as well.. worded it many times and it never came up with mounting engine between engine rails/stringers. mostly just mounting rails in boat.

Other than have someone do it for you,you will have to attempt it yourself,,It's not difficult,,just fit the mounts to the engine throw it in between the stringers leave a 1/8" or so clearance between engine and hull floor, make a slight angle on the engine to accept the drive and then mark the holes in the rails,,use a 90degree Dremel or drill attachment and drill away...
Ensure you have all radio gear ,tank etc placed in hull to get your correct CG ...monos are good for 28% to 33% ..

Last edited:
Position engine and mark around the rubber isolators with short sharp pencil. Take engine out of the way.

Use a 1" washer and center in your outlines to mark dead center and drill them out to 1/4"

Engine will drop in place every time.

I build a lot of boats and I think it is the best way there is. I have never miss doing it this way and engines fit in the rubbers exactly.

Building one today.

Last edited:
I use a right angle drill adapter made by Dremel for their motor tools. Works real good. I've found the single speed Dremels last longer than the multi speed ones. My single speed is 30 years old and first multi speed I bought quit after a month, but was warranted.

I use a right angle drill adapter made by Dremel for their motor tools. Works real good. I've found the single speed Dremels last longer than the multi speed ones. My single speed is 30 years old and first multi speed I bought quit after a month, but was warranted.

Single speeds are way to fast for many jobs. Drum sanders and drilling are usually done at slower speeds. Liking the cordless ones myself.

Never use any of these for drilling rails though. That is done with cordless drill and 90° adapter or flex 90° adapter.

ZO13hHS.jpg

KAUJIjJ.jpg

I've used many different things , Dremel with 90 degree attachment , 90 degree short air drill and even a short cut off 1/4" bit heated red hot and held in vice grips to burn right through the rails of 1/4" ply no problem . Circling the isolators and then a #10 fender washer to center the hole for pilot drilling . Correct shaft alignment is the most important part , no abrupt changes in shaft .

Back