Engine cooling

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Ashcroft

How much water cooling do you use?
Or do not use?

Heat is good... but too much can be detrimental to performance.
I was talking to another boater and he says my engine is running too hot and is limiting my performance.I have watched his boat run which is fully cooled lower and upper ring, and it runs very good ..Talking 67 to bigblock monohulls.

Last edited:
I always believed that the head needs good heat to perform,which in turn helps burn nitro .I always use the top chamber only but I also notice that the power sags after a lap or 2 and goes off pipe...The boater I spoke to says increase cooling and it will perform better...So I am going to test and see...

Last edited:
I always believed that the head needs good heat to perform,which in turn helps burn nitro .I always use the top chamber only but I also notice that the power sags after a lap or 2 and goes off pipe...The boater I spoke to says increase cooling and it will perform better...So I am going to test and see...

You don’t need more cooling. You need MORE FUEL. It’s sagging because when the motor reaches operating temp after 2 laps there is not enough fuel

Richen the motor up run several laps then use your mixture control and slowly lean the motor down. THERE IS More power on the rich side of the needle

Doc in theory when pipe is gradually shortened then we richen slightly to compensate for more rpm and heat...Which is why I am confused about incoming information..If I cool with water then nitro cannot be properly burnt..correct? I would like to agree that we should use more fuel to cool the top end and create power..
Marty Davis always said lower the compression and richen the needle for power.. Which I always do...
The variables I guess are weather conditions..too hot humid then we pull pipe and lean...cool weather we shorten and fatten needle...
Well our cooler months are approaching now so the power is ahead.

Last edited:
I don’t mess with the pipe too much. Will adjust for prop load

I adjust needles with air density and flow changes.

With a good flow meter you can develop a “book” of data. Flow/air density

Latest posts

Back