engine care

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Years ago, Bobby Tom with K&B told me that they looked closely at Marvel Mystery Oil as so many people were using it as an after run oil. He said that it had many characteristices of ATF and told me that it would be cheaper to just run ATF.

He never said that they found that Marvel or ATF damaged their engines.

I like to mix ATF and Rislone, 50-50. I can't remember who turned me on to this mixture. I use this when puting my engines together. The ATF will flow into the tightest areas and the Rislone does not run out quickly.

There is a lot of smoke when I fire up the next time. But, there are no dry spots in the engine.

Al Hobbs

there is an additive in marvel mystery oil (wintergreen oil, i think) that can affect some oring materials. marvel air tool oil WILL NOT cause this B) .

I agree with Robin in that Marvel Air tool oil is the one to use not Mystery Oil it has Wintergreen that has an ill effect.

I have been using good ole Chevy ATF in my motors for 20 years. Never put anything Ford related in your Nitro motor or it may be Found On Road Dead :lol:

ron, spelled backward, ford means "driver returning on foot" :lol: . thanx for the help on marvel mystery oil, i couldn't remember for sure if it was wintergreen oil. more of that darn CRS :rolleyes: ......

ron, spelled backward, ford means "driver returning on foot" :lol: . thanx for the help on marvel mystery oil, i couldn't remember for sure if it was wintergreen oil. more of that darn CRS :rolleyes: ......
:lol: Good one! Never heard that before......Back when Ford Explorers and Firestone tires had some problems it became.........

Found on Roof Dead :p

Last edited:
:lol: Good one! Never heard that before......Back when Ford Explorers and Firestone tires had some problems it became.........

Found on Roof Dead :p
explorers, don't you mean exploders?

Only thing Ford has done right is circle the problem from the start. :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: the quality goes in, before the name goes on :huh: ........

ok, enough ford bashing, let talk more about caring for REAL engines. besides we're upsetting mikie :p

disconect needle

run excess fuel out of motor. hold your finger over pipe tip to stop overreving. poor mans throttle.

blow out with WD 40 because it is inexpensive compared to bearings.

run some corosion x through engine, needle, water jackets, carb. Needles become clogged with oil after shelfing for a while. Water jacket gets very coroded.

Main thing is to get the corrosive (nitro) out of every thing.

Just my 2cents

Hello All,

I have a long term engine storage question. I just found out on Monday that I'll be relocating to London in 3 months for 4 years. I wont be bringing my boats with, but dont want to sell them either. What would be the best way to store them for up to 4 yers? My thought was to drench the engine in after run oil then seal them in a zip lock bag. Is that an ideal method?

Thanks for your input.

Dean

I had a friend with the same problem. He bought a 5 gallon can of kerosene with a sealable lid. He dropped his engines into the kerosene, sealed the lid and they stayed fine for a year or so. Just a bit of time to clean them after he got back.

Al Hobbs

I had a friend with the same problem. He bought a 5 gallon can of kerosene with a sealable lid. He dropped his engines into the kerosene, sealed the lid and they stayed fine for a year or so. Just a bit of time to clean them after he got back.

Al Hobbs
Get your self a seal a meal and oil well then wrap in a oily rag and vacuum in a bag should last till hell freezes over.....

Al Hobbs
Get your self a seal a meal and oil well then wrap in a oily rag and vacuum in a bag should last till hell freezes over.....
I agreee. You must make sure the water is completely out of the engine. But vacuum seal the engine is stays in like New Condition.

Al Hobbs
I agreee. You must make sure the water is completely out of the engine. But vacuum seal the engine is stays in like New Condition. p.s.transmission fluid never breaks down during storage

I've done that to mine.Seal a meal works grate...Just make sure that you use some thing to protect the sharp edges so it wont cut the bag..

The kerosene will go after the orings. Mark Anderson did this to his motors for a while till the orings failed. Guess you could always remove them.

Mike

Al Hobbs

Anyone ever try 3 in 1 oil?
i was given an OLD cox .049 engine about 7 years ago by a friend. he had packed it in a seal a meal with 3in1 oil about 5 years before i got it. unpacked it last month, just to see if it was still worth keeping, after all those years of storage. still clean & free spinning B) . packed it back up the same way, figured if 12 years of that storage method had worked so well, i shouldn't fool with sucess :rolleyes: !!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back