Egos in model boating?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great question. I think there's a bigger audience for ego's to play out so it's hard to compare the past to the present. From my own experience at races, no. But that's just in the areas where I race

Last edited:
It's not so much the number of egos as it is the way people with big egos act today.

30 years ago people with big egos weren't screaming at each other as much as we see today.

Of course some big egos did yell at each other years ago, but not as much as people do today.

Society has changed and that is true in model boating as well as in other areas.

It's not so much the number of egos as it is the way people with big egos act today.

30 years ago people with big egos weren't screaming at each other as much as we see today.

Of course some big egos did yell at each other years ago, but not as much as people do today.

Society has changed and that is true in model boating as well as in other areas.
You should have attended our Wolverine (Detroit) club meetings back in the late 60’s and early 70’s, shouting and arguing for 3 hours and we’d adjourn to Sinbads and talk boats and drink beer with great brotherhood till midnight. So really good stuff resulted from both.

I have seen it from time to time over the years and try to let it slide over my shoulder . Some of those who have had the elitist egos over the years have had their Karma visit in different ways . I try not to hold grudges and give everyone a second chance . Sometimes the heat of racing gets one pretty hot but we have to tell ourselves it's a hobby .

I think what has changed in my lifetime is that people with large egos from all walks of life are more tolerated than ever before and some, like those featuring on social media and ridiculous "reality" TV shows are handsomely rewarded for their overblown ego. Humility from people, especially business and community leaders, politicians and sporting rivals, used to be a quality that was generally admired.
As my dear old Dad used to say about people displaying too much ego - " I wish I could buy him at my price and then sell him at his".

Hundreds if not close to a thousand individuals all with different personalities for almost 50 years have yield the absolute best and yet some challenging situations. It is worth the risk! I'm thankful for lifelong family friends, a surrogate grandfather and numerous uncles. Still willing and wanting to add to all those memories. I guess it is all about one's perspective, and I would not change my rc boating experience with anyone.

Also met and made friends with a lot of great people over the years, people who accomplished far more than I ever will in this hobby, people like Steve Ball, Mr Bill McGraw and Kentley Porter. David Preuse is another, possibly one of the nicest people you'll ever meet and very accomplished!
That's what makes this hobby great, accomplished people who are willing to help others with no ego attached!

Last edited:
So. Question????
Do you think there are larger egos and more ego in model boating today? Then in the past? As a whole.

Yes... but don't think it's specific to rc boating... seems widespread in society, in general.
IMO, social media and the likes, has definitely propagated the tendency.

With that said, there really are some great people in our hobby, overall.

You should have attended our Wolverine (Detroit) club meetings back in the late 60’s and early 70’s, shouting and arguing for 3 hours and we’d adjourn to Sinbads and talk boats and drink beer with great brotherhood till midnight. So really good stuff resulted from both.
I should add that in those days our club meetings were held in the”Horace Dodge Memorial” building in the Roostertail pits on the river/race course. You were completely consumed by boat racing history.

Hi:
I have seen it from time to time over the years and try to let it slide over my shoulder . Some of those who have had the elitist egos over the years have had their Karma visit in different ways . I try not to hold grudges and give everyone a second chance . Sometimes the heat of racing gets one pretty hot but we have to tell ourselves it's a hobby .
That is the most important thing, and the first thing we forget in the heat of a competition... rugby players are, for me, the best example of how an athlete should behave... on and off the field of play; or in the circuit, in our case.-

Let me tell a short story:
in january 2017 i was for the first time in the states to visit the brandon winter nationals. I saw a lot of fast boats, mostly impressed by the boats of steve ball. I was interested in his motors, wanted to know what he have done on them. In the afternoon, he brought me his motor to have a look inside! I was deeply impressed, anything like that did not happen to me here in germany. Also some others of the race drivers told me a lot of tricks and tips, my trip to the states was a wonderful experience. And there is a big difference in model boating between the states and germany - in the states it is seen as a hobby, in germany it is mostly seen as a kind of sports! I think the egos here in germany are much more present than in the states.

Have fun in model boating
Joachim Ruess

Let me tell a short story:
in january 2017 i was for the first time in the states to visit the brandon winter nationals. I saw a lot of fast boats, mostly impressed by the boats of steve ball. I was interested in his motors, wanted to know what he have done on them. In the afternoon, he brought me his motor to have a look inside! I was deeply impressed, anything like that did not happen to me here in germany. Also some others of the race drivers told me a lot of tricks and tips, my trip to the states was a wonderful experience. And there is a big difference in model boating between the states and germany - in the states it is seen as a hobby, in germany it is mostly seen as a kind of sports! I think the egos here in germany are much more present than in the states.

Have fun in model boating
Joachim Ruess
Here Here! Steve is a real mentor in RC boating. Likely one of the best setup artists we have in the hobby too!

Grim

Latest posts

Back