EAGLE SGX21 or 4S

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobHorowitz

Hi Everyone,
I just picked up an unbuilt Eagle SGX 80% kit. I think it's either a 4S or a 21 boat. I'm trying to find some instructions and/or set-up guidelines for it. I've sent an e-mail to CMDi but I haven't heard from them yet. If anyone can help with some info, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Bob

Hi Everyone,
I just picked up an unbuilt Eagle SGX 80% kit. I think it's either a 4S or a 21 boat. I'm trying to find some instructions and/or set-up guidelines for it. I've sent an e-mail to CMDi but I haven't heard from them yet. If anyone can help with some info, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Bob

Are you going to make it electric Bob? You can go online to samba.com and check the rules to see what class it would fall under as far as size and then you can figure out what you want for power. Probably P Open.

Brad

Hey Brad,
Yes, it's going to be electric. I think it was built to be a 4S boat. At least, that's what Jorn said. I've been trying to get in touch with Andy Brown. Not having any luck. I'm hoping he will respond and help me out with some assembly instructions. I'd like to have some pointers as to placing the rear sponsons and wings.
Bob

Bob,
In till Andy chimes in I have some recommendations. For FE riggers you need to keep the front end light, similar to what a nitro boat would be. Too much weight in the front of the boat causes them to be sticky on the sponsons and blow the tail. So try to mount the motor pretty far back, i.e. do not try to mount the motor where a nitro motor would normally sit. Try to find a speed controller than can mount directly besides a battery in the middle compartment. Instead of a single large battery it's often better for weight distribution and packaging to use two smaller batteries in parallel. For example two 4S 3000mAh packs. Mount one directly in front of the motor and the second in between the booms. I recommend converting the Castle Edge 200 Lite controllers into a water cooled version with some extra caps. These have proved to be great controllers and are compact in hydro hulls.

Here are some pics of a larger 6 cell SGX. This boat runs well when the batteries are kept behind the rear boom. Shifting the weight backwards keep the front light without huge AoA and having a heavier tail keeps the prop planted. Remember there are no issues leaving the beach with too much prop in a FE boat. In my boat I run a single 6000mAh pack behind the rear boom with the speed controller tucked on the side.

Attachments

• sgx complete 1.jpg
    sgx complete 1.jpg
    407.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2283.JPG
    IMG_2283.JPG
    466.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2287.JPG
    IMG_2287.JPG
    465.5 KB · Views: 49
Here is a 4 cell Raptor. Similar configuration where the Castle controller goes alongside a single 4S 5000mAh or 6000mah pack and everything is behind the rear boom. Just flotation up in the front.

Attachments

• DSC_4885.JPG
    DSC_4885.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1325.JPG
    IMG_1325.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_4450.JPG
    IMG_4450.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 42
Tyler,
Thank you very much for your suggestions and pictures. Do you have any thoughts on the mounting of the rear sponsons and wings? I'm almost inclined to leave the wings off. I'm not sure what they actually do. Maybe to help launching with a nitro boat?
Regards,
Bob

Tyler,
Thank you very much for your suggestions and pictures. Do you have any thoughts on the mounting of the rear sponsons and wings? I'm almost inclined to leave the wings off. I'm not sure what they actually do. Maybe to help launching with a nitro boat?
Regards,
Bob
Bob,

Think "flights" on a dart.

Thanks. Brad.
Titan Racing Components
BlackJack Hydros
Model Machine and Precision LLC

Bob,
I would say "definitely yes" on the rear sponsons and yes to the rear winglets.
My assumption on the rear winglets is they help keep the tail planted at speed, but no little to no effect during launch making it easier to get a nitro boat off the beach.
Tyler

Do you want them to impart lift, or down force, or be neutral?
Bob,

I'd call Andy. I built a 21 kit years ago, and I know the build instructions give details, but I don't remember. If I had to guess, I'd say slight lift, if not neutral. As I said, I think they are more for stability than anything else.

Thanks. Brad.
Titan Racing Components
BlackJack Hydros
Model Machine and Precision LLC

Thanks guys. I'll keep trying to get a hold of Andy. I've been trying every way I could think of, but no answer from him yet. I believe he was racing this past weekend.

Thanks Tyler. I sure wish that it was for a 21 size boat. Do you know what the length of the tub is on the 45? It would sure help in interpolating the dimensions for my boat.
Bob

Back