Eagle SG Restoration project

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This Eagle SG ran valiantly at the Cincinnati TT event this past weekend and for a brief moment we held the 1/4 mile F-Hydro record at 16.0 before Bradley lowered it to 15.6s with his 80 Crapshooter. In an effort to improve the cornering we switched to a larger SGX turnfin and that was the one straw that broke the camel's back. The extra bite provided by the larger fin was a wee bit too much for the tub and she broke in half right in front of the radio box bulkhead. Check out the twist in the boom tubs in the first picture. This was not the first time it happened so no surprise. Thanks Mario for the awesome pics.

FB_IMG_1635253497611.jpgFB_IMG_1635253564308.jpg
2F76E083-67B1-4D3E-9BFC-11FD8DAFC13B.jpeg

FB_IMG_1635253497611.jpg

What an awesome picture!! If you zoom in
you can see the turn fin splitting the water...
and the curved end hanging on tight
She definitely had a bite on it !!

Just imagine if that fin hit someone in the water....it would probably almost split them in half !!! :oops: :oops:

David, it's a 67SG.

Attached pick shows the prior break which occurred at a SAW event a decade ago. Andy was able to repair it and the new paint covered the repair. The new break occurred right at the bulkhead so the prior repair held strong, just found the next weak area.

-Tyler

Attachments

• DSCN0522.JPG
    DSCN0522.JPG
    902.5 KB · Views: 58
Yup.... been there...done that...

One year at the Nats I built a sponson in the bath tub of the hotel room... belt sander, 30 min. epoxy, blue construction foam from home depot,, scrap ply we had on hand...

looked like hell, but it worked!!!

Nicely done Arne!
Is that white epoxy paint you used in the tub, or something you mixed into the resin? very clean looking !
Thank you. I forgot what white paint I used but there is a urethane clear coat sprayed over the white paint. I learned when working on big Unlimiteds and full size Grand Prix Hydroplanes on race day, its easier to find your tools or bolts on a white floor when in a thrash. Plus cooler temp inside the boat.

Back