Dsm vs 75

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The new rule does not go into effect until after the 2023 season. It was announced last year. 2 years warning seems ample. Should not put anyone in hardship. If you are so against it. Talk to your District Director and have him push back. They are your representative.
I originally started out on 72 band, they banned it from surface use. Bought new 75 mhz gear. Then had to junk that and switch to narrow band 75mhz equipment. So having to get rid of perfectly good gear is nothing new. Change happens. Put on a big race and you will appreciate not having to work around frequency conflicts.
Been around the game a long time., been to many big races and can certainly appreciate the work . You are incorrect though the change is in place for the 2023 season , at least here in D 3 .

The new rule does not go into effect until after the 2023 season. It was announced last year. 2 years warning seems ample. Should not put anyone in hardship. If you are so against it. Talk to your District Director and have him push back. They are your representative.
I originally started out on 72 band, they banned it from surface use. Bought new 75 mhz gear. Then had to junk that and switch to narrow band 75mhz equipment. So having to get rid of perfectly good gear is nothing new. Change happens. Put on a big race and you will appreciate not having to work around frequency conflicts.
The changes you speak of were dictated by FCC regulations changing. This situation is completely different.............

I have been DSM for years, so have not paid too much attention. I am going on what is published in the rule book-

3. For NAMBA Sanctioned events, only the DSM frequency (as specified in rule B.2.e in this section) will be allowed after the end of the 2023 year. All other listed, FCC approved surface frequencies are will still be valid for sport boating and non-sanctioned events.

If your district is doing something different, all the more reason to speak to the leadership in your District.
Don, well aware that this is a Namba thing and the others that I mentioned were mandated by the FCC. Point is things change, sometimes they are unpopular with a few.

. It appears NAMBAs rule change is a matter of race heat setup convenience and nothing else.

. Put on a big race and you will appreciate not having to work around frequency conflicts.
I have ZERO dog in this hunt- but imho, these 2 statements explain more than it being a "safety" issue.
It also eliminates the fight over team racing real quick like without going down that road again.
Just my worthless .02

It IS a safety issue, though. In the past it was not unusual for a person to loose control of a racing boat when another racer turned on his radio. NAMBA's insurance has paid claims where people were hit by runaway boats. How high would you like your insurance premiums to go? Check out APBA insurance to get an idea. The pin system depends on cooperation. the 2.4 radios do not.

Lohring Miller

It IS a safety issue, though. In the past it was not unusual for a person to loose control of a racing boat when another racer turned on his radio. NAMBA's insurance has paid claims where people were hit by runaway boats. How high would you like your insurance premiums to go? Check out APBA insurance to get an idea. The pin system depends on cooperation. the 2.4 radios do not.

Lohring Miller
Valid point . The open impound does rely on the due diligence of the user .

Yes valid point ... So does making sure batteries are charged, radio box is dry, linkages are set up right. , fail safes are turned on.
No way man! LiPos last for many months before needing recharging, no need for dry radio box cause we got waterproof servos and Corrosion-X (hell some don’t even use radio boxes), 1/8”SS linkage rods.
What’s next, y’all gonna outlaw lead acid batteries in starter boxes?

♠️

No way man! LiPos last for many months before needing recharging, no need for dry radio box cause we got waterproof servos and Corrosion-X (hell some don’t even use radio boxes), 1/8”SS linkage rods.
What’s next, y’all gonna outlaw lead acid batteries in starter boxes?

♠️
Tha tLIPO starter battery fire at the last race was interesting ! Too bad it wasn't in someones trailer !!! Wow .

Yep, I had a Lipo fire. Got it out of the house before it BLEW UP like a hand grenade. Blew fire 20 ft in the air. Nothing left but black carbon.

That LIPO starter battery fire at the last race was interesting ! Too bad it wasn't in someones trailer !!! Wow .
Which is why I did this from day one when I switched to a lipo powered starter (lipo box courtesy of Ryan Lipgens the plastic fuel tank guy). Those starters are about the most unintentionally abused things in the hot pits especially if you got a stubborn engine (or two) and panic sets in as pit time starts running out......

Attachments

• lipostarter.jpg
    lipostarter.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 0
Really WTF!!!

I think there is more to this rule change, than what is being discussed.

I find it hard to understand why this late in the game with very few people even running 75mhz suddenly it's a problem! I have attended several big races in the last year and there were maybe 4-5 people on 75mhz. So, setting up races is not the problem it used to be. I have been running the same radio for years 3pk with backups and14 receivers without any issues till now!! There is a cost to change, and I would if there was a problem.

Namba should not dictate what radio we can use, leave that up to the FCC.

In the past there were a lot more 75mhz radios being used so yes, the chances were higher that someone could turn on a radio while someone was running. Today not so much.

Are there any current facts backing these claims up? How many insurance claims have been paid in the last 5 years because of 75 mhz radios. How many due to DSM?

No sense in talking to our Dist Rep. They would have changed it when they came in office due to people entering on the same freq. NOT SAFETY!!

This is not promoting our hobby and will keep some of us from attending your races!!!!!!! Or moving on.

This is Radio Discrimination.

Dam can't we find some positive things to come up with?

I know one IMPBA.

Bring it on.
Rod Hendricks

Really WTF!!!

I think there is more to this rule change, than what is being discussed.

I find it hard to understand why this late in the game with very few people even running 75mhz suddenly it's a problem! I have attended several big races in the last year and there were maybe 4-5 people on 75mhz. So, setting up races is not the problem it used to be. I have been running the same radio for years 3pk with backups and14 receivers without any issues till now!! There is a cost to change, and I would if there was a problem.

Namba should not dictate what radio we can use, leave that up to the FCC.

In the past there were a lot more 75mhz radios being used so yes, the chances were higher that someone could turn on a radio while someone was running. Today not so much.

Are there any current facts backing these claims up? How many insurance claims have been paid in the last 5 years because of 75 mhz radios. How many due to DSM?

No sense in talking to our Dist Rep. They would have changed it when they came in office due to people entering on the same freq. NOT SAFETY!!

This is not promoting our hobby and will keep some of us from attending your races!!!!!!! Or moving on.

This is Radio Discrimination.

Dam can't we find some positive things to come up with?

I know one IMPBA.

Bring it on.
Rod Hendricks
Apparently Brandon has decided to lead the charge to DSM ONLY entries to the Twin Shootout D3 points race . What does our district Director Eric Canto have to say regarding this breach of NAMBA policy.?

Back