Dsm vs 75

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It IS a safety issue, though. In the past it was not unusual for a person to loose control of a racing boat when another racer turned on his radio. NAMBA's insurance has paid claims where people were hit by runaway boats. How high would you like your insurance premiums to go? Check out APBA insurance to get an idea. The pin system depends on cooperation. the 2.4 radios do not.

Lohring Miller
You chose to go there as the Safety Director - So I will ask the question, How many claims where made in the last year / 2 years/3years- vs the last 15 before dsm that where radio signal loss?
How many where dsm and how many where 75 ? lets just be honest here Lohring , you and I both know why, and I dont even run boats anymore.

It IS a safety issue, though. In the past it was not unusual for a person to loose control of a racing boat when another racer turned on his radio. NAMBA's insurance has paid claims where people were hit by runaway boats. How high would you like your insurance premiums to go? Check out APBA insurance to get an idea. The pin system depends on cooperation. the 2.4 radios do not.

Lohring Miller
Use of any radio has a probability and potential of failure; therefore, if people are getting hit by out of control boats, many other safety guidelines are not being followed! BE SAFE!

Moisture threshold that's a good one I got ran over and ripped off cowl and antenna mount radio box had half inch of water in it when I got boat back but thanks to corrosion x and dielectric grease everything was working fine I also run external servos with no problem I love Dsm I can run all my boats with my one 4px

Which is why I did this from day one when I switched to a lipo powered starter (lipo box courtesy of Ryan Lipgens the plastic fuel tank guy). Those starters are about the most unintentionally abused things in the hot pits especially if you got a stubborn engine (or two) and panic sets in as pit time starts running out......
I had Ryan do the exact same thing on starter too Don.

On my 4 px it has a little plastic device that you rotate on the front of radio that's the antenna half the time I forget to rotate it and still have not have any problem just my personal experience Jeff Barnes

There are a lot of reasons for this change in my opinion, most of them safety related. Mike Mularkey, the D20 director is in the RF business. He has had long conversations about this and he will tell you that if your crystal radios are not frequently tuned, that there can be a huge variance in frequency and power. This is not just the RC, the entire world has moved to digital synthesized communications. With digital transmissions your have multiple error corrections in case a signal is distorted or interrupted along with two way telemetry to tell you thing like when your RX pack is weak and of course the possibility of frequency conflicts. We do not do a good job of managing frequencies like the airplane guys do. In the 10 years I have been back in racing I have never seen any type of frequency control at a race.

I get it, people generally do not like change. I know this from the business that I am in and I certainly understand that no one likes to be told they have to do something, however sometimes it makes sense. I personally think NAMBA went about this the right way. The could have said that only DSM is supported to be covered by their insurance. But instead they simply approached it from a race entry requirement. If you want to attend certain races you are required to have a DSM radio, just like you are required to have prop guards, fire extinguishers etc. Once again JMHO.

Last edited:
There are a lot of reasons for this change in my opinion, most of them safety related. Mike Mularkey, the D20 director is in the RF business. He has had long conversations about this and he will tell you that if your crystal radios are not frequently tuned, that there can be a huge variance in frequency and power. This is not just the RC, the entire world has moved to digital synthesized communications. With digital transmissions your have multiple error corrections in case a signal is distorted or interrupted along with two way telemetry to tell you thing like when your RX pack is weak and of course the possibility of frequency conflicts. We do not do a good job of managing frequencies like the airplane guys do. In the 10 years I have been back in racing I have never seen any type of frequency control at a race.

I get it, people generally do not like change. I know this from the business that I am in and I certainly understand that no one likes to be told they have to do something, however sometimes it makes sense. I personally think NAMBA went about this the right way. The could have said that only DSM is supported to be covered by their insurance. But instead they simply approached it from a race entry requirement. If you want to attend certain races you are required to have a DSM radio, just like you are required to have prop guards, fire extinguishers etc. Once again JMHO.
If it makes you feel better great .

Ok let me get this straight,

Namba said it is unsafe to race with our 75mhz radios. With a safety fence in place ect.

But our hobby sport boaters [A majority] don't have to be protected from these unsafe radios? On unprotected water?

Again the 75mhz radios i see being used TODAY are not a problem!

This is all about eliminating the frequency conflicts that some of us use to make sure we have our pitman of choice. (Next can of worms)

This started in Namba District #3 a while back because one gas race had a bunch on the same freq. That club has only allowed DSM radios for the last year or two. The change was made due to Freq. conflicts, NOT safety.

I call bullshit on your 75mhz radio discrimination.

Rod Hendricks

Back