Small Drum sanders

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisHerzog

Supporting Member
If you are like me always using your drum sander on your Dremel tool, you know the frustration that I feel when your fighting it the entire time. They don’t last, they are constantly slipping and then they come off.
To solve this problem I ordered these drum sanders from Empire Abrasives. I just got them in and have only played with them a little but so far I’m having a hard time not throwing the Dremel drum sanders in the trash.

Attachments

• 27A89A8C-109C-4870-A32A-09A2BA1D83B6.jpeg
    27A89A8C-109C-4870-A32A-09A2BA1D83B6.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 41
  • 50A126D5-8BB0-4026-94FC-A6180149FACE.jpeg
    50A126D5-8BB0-4026-94FC-A6180149FACE.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 45
  • 5046CEF9-97EF-46A2-AAEF-979F159F2841.jpeg
    5046CEF9-97EF-46A2-AAEF-979F159F2841.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 47
  • 8E457FA9-7BF9-44FB-AD2D-8BC1462378EE.jpeg
    8E457FA9-7BF9-44FB-AD2D-8BC1462378EE.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 47
I hate the old type and thought that I would like the newer ones only because they are easier to replace the sand paper. I have come to dislike the new version as well.
I’m hoping that these new drum sanders hold up much longer and don’t ever slip or fly off. Will see soon enough!!

I don't use a Dremel drum sander very often. I've found a tool that works much better for me as well:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-...Fbw9GEAQYASABEgIJnfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#overlay
I've found it works better than the drum sander since it will sand inside of any hole over .5". Yes, you have to change the sanding drum every so often but they are readily available at Home Depot. Obviously, it's not going to work for all sanding jobs but it takes care of well over 80% of my needs

I don't use a Dremel drum sander very often. I've found a tool that works much better for me as well:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-...Fbw9GEAQYASABEgIJnfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#overlay
I've found it works better than the drum sander since it will sand inside of any hole over .5". Yes, you have to change the sanding drum every so often but they are readily available at Home Depot. Obviously, it's not going to work for all sanding jobs but it takes care of well over 80% of my needs
I have a large belt sander and an edge sander is on my list of wants but for small jobs like cutting air inlets in a cowl or fitting a cowl to a hull I use my Dremel. Cutting the opening for a stuffing box through the bottom of a hull or engine rails down inside of a hull are some another examples. You can’t do any of that with an edge sander or a belt sander, you need a Dremel. I build 10 to 30 boats a year (not all for me) so I use my Dremel a lot.

I hate the old type and thought that I would like the newer ones only because they are easier to replace the sand paper. I have come to dislike the new version as well.
I’m hoping that these new drum sanders hold up much longer and don’t ever slip or fly off. Will see soon enough!!
Dont like changing them as well. So I just bought more arbors and change then all at once. Burn one out, then I just switched to another arbor.
Mike

I have a large belt sander and an edge sander is on my list of wants but for small jobs like cutting air inlets in a cowl or fitting a cowl to a hull I use my Dremel. Cutting the opening for a stuffing box through the bottom of a hull or engine rails down inside of a hull are some another examples. You can’t do any of that with an edge sander or a belt sander, you need a Dremel. I build 10 to 30 boats a year (not all for me) so I use my Dremel a lot.
Believe me, I get it. I don't use sanding drums very much, usually use hard bits for the small work and just touch up with the drum, if needed. Since most of my sanding work is final finishing of lightening holes and the outside of frames(since I build from plans that are normally reworked to some degree), my bench top sander is invaluable since the drums don't clog up or wear through nearly as fast as a Dremel sleeve does. With that said, drain and pushrod holes and what you described above can't really be done with anything else but drill bits and sanding drums in a Dremel or power drill. In my case, that's a small part of a build.

Dont like changing them as well. So I just bought more arbors and change then all at once. Burn one out, then I just switched to another arbor.
Mike
Yep, I went that route as well. I have probably 10 of them. Still bugs the crap out of me but hopefully these new ones that I got will change all that.

Chris, have you checked into Perma Grit drum sanders, I've used them a lot when I build jets, they come in different shapes and a course or fine grit. I love Perma Grit tools, a bit pricey but last a long time

Latest posts

Back