Dropped sponson sport40 roundnose project

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P THOMAS

Supporting Member
Vendor
Here is a project that I have had for a long time and got it out to finish it up. It is a MTO hull that I cut the deck to make it a dropped sponson boat. I used an engine well out of my 40 roundnose Karlesen boat so i dont have to use wood engine rails. A little chopping and cutting and it fits ok, i added the engine mount T nuts so its ready for the motor mounts. started to fit the cowling and cut out the front of the engine well for a fuel tank to fit in the front.

http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?app=gallery&album=1647

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice project Phil, were you putting the strut.
default_ohmy.png
default_biggrin.png
default_laugh.png
Couldn't help myself.
default_ph34r.png

Here is a project that I have had for a long time and got it out to finish it up. It is a MTO hull that I cut the deck to make it a dropped sponson boat. I used an engine well out of my 40 roundnose Karlesen boat so i dont have to use wood engine rails. A little chopping and cutting and it fits ok, i added the engine mount T nuts so its ready for the motor mounts. started to fit the cowling and cut out the front of the engine well for a fuel tank to fit in the front.

attachicon.gif
DSC03465 (800x600).jpg

your dropped sponson modification looks perfect. please explain how it was done.

is this a sp40 sized hull ?

thank you,

dave w.

Lookin' good Phil. Did you get tired of seeing all those SS45s out there and decide to take a walk on the wild side with "Brand X" ??? Har, Har !!! Was this one from after Doug made the sponson changes? CHEERS !!! Bob

Lookin' good Phil. Did you get tired of seeing all those SS45s out there and decide to take a walk on the wild side with "Product X" ??? Har, Har !!! Was this one from after Doug made the sponson changes? CHEERS !!! Bob

attachicon.gif
DeWitte_regis.jpg
attachicon.gif
Don Maher's MTO Sport 60.JPG
Probaly like the U8 hull, what were the sponson changes? This one looks good as to angles.

I have to build one of the SSP45 too this year to race. My 40 roundnose Bardahl won the Indy Masters last year.

attachicon.gif
DSC03465 (800x600).jpg

your dropped sponson modification looks perfect. please explain how it was done.

thank you,

dave w.
I just cut the deck and added a wood spacer then glassed it in under the deck.

attachicon.gif
DSC03465 (800x600).jpg

thank you,

dave w.
I just cut the deck and added a wood spacer then glassed it in under the deck.
phil,

well done, looks original.

dave

"......what were the sponson changes?"

Hey Phil,

Just remembered your statement. Non - Thomas hull boats are "Brand X" - Har, Har !!!

Blue hull was the original sponson bottom, After Doug bought the K&H molds he changed the bottom adding the recovery pads shown on unfinished hull.

According to a Friend - the hulls were always fast down the straight, but would do an inside snap roll if pushed hard into a turn. He added stumble blocks to his, and said MTO did same later on and changed the bottom molds. CHEERS !!! Bob

That epoxy hull is like the one I have, it looked good to me.

Yea it is a BRAND X but with Phil Thomas changes, just cant leave something alone.

It was a cold case project for a couple years, should be fun to setup and run .

Hey Phil,

Good. The better of the two. It will be good to see another MTO on the water again.

Is that the motor mount you're going to use or just an alignment fixture. Radio box in front or behind engine?

Har, Har !!! I can't leave something alone either. There have been two SS45 through my shop - neither left even close to stock. One was the old hull bottom prior to belly pan fiasco, second was with the new bottom mold. First one ran very well, second is destined to become a Hangar Queen I believe - still hasn't seen it's first test hop. My efforts to get Sport 40 here in Houston going the past 10 years has been a miserable failure. Little to no nitro interest. CHEERS !!! Bob

Hi Phil.......We used to have a guy here in D3 that altered, I believe an Aeromarine Sport 40 to make it into one of the newer (at the time) pickle forked Scales, rear wing and all, and it really ran good. I don't recall which Scale it was, but I really liked the way it looked. BTW thanks for your input regarding fuel proof clear coat in a spray can. I tested all of the standard Rustoleum (colors) on test strips, and after sufficient drying time, 50% racing fuel sat on it for days, and NO problem at all. However, the clear coat that is part of that same line is useless, and as a matter of fact regular rubbing alcohol takes it right off! Hi everyone!

Back