Don't let your eyes off when charging LIPOs

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The less settings I can screw up the better, I like the Powerlabs, you don't have to enter number of cells or capacity or even charge amps if you pick a 1C charge.

Just confirm the battery chemistry and number of packs if parallel charging.

I have a coupe of the 6S batteries with one of the cell at 0 voltage, can I continue to use it as a 5S battery?

Hey Gilbert, Sorry to hear about your loss. I am glad no one was injured. Lipos are definitely a dangerous power source. I keep mine in 50 cal boxes to contain possible fire. I remove part of the upper seal so that it can vent, and not create pressure. If you want/ need another GP400 kit, please let me know and I will get one for you at cost. Take care, Mike

Mike.. something to keep in mind.. (I wish I could share the video..its AWESOME)

When the lipo blows the lid open on the ammo can (Sounds like a Shotgun going off) the flames shoot out the sides of the opening. (the force is incredible)

If you have them in your shop its best to just open the lid and direct the flame straight upward.

Don’t put that ammo can under a work bench. Best to have it in as much open area as you can.

Be safe..

Grim

I have a coupe of the 6S batteries with one of the cell at 0 voltage, can I continue to use it as a 5S battery?
That's one more for the salt water bath........
I was a miser, and to use the faulty 6s for direct charge to use as 5S, hence overcharged and caused the fire.

We run our boats on seawater, it is easy to bath in salt water.

Thanks, Don, for the advice.

Hey Gilbert, Sorry to hear about your loss. I am glad no one was injured. Lipos are definitely a dangerous power source. I keep mine in 50 cal boxes to contain possible fire. I remove part of the upper seal so that it can vent, and not create pressure. If you want/ need another GP400 kit, please let me know and I will get one for you at cost. Take care, Mike
Mike, thanks for the offer, I still have the SX400 GP kit in its original packs.

I need to have some more time to get over the anxiety before I charge Lipo batteries again, and not to run FE for awhile. I will only be running Gas boats and scale boats in the next few outings.

My neighbor lost a $700k house one Sunday morning. He had just returned from a business trip to China and brought back a LiPo powered car. He put it on the charger before going to church. The house was gone when he came home from church. Fire definitely started in his office where the car was put on the charger. The fire was through the roof before the fire department got there and was so hot that it cracked the concrete foundation of the basement. Fortunately another neighbor saw the smoke and broke into the basement to let the dogs out. I always use a charger bacg on my 2200 mA TX packs.

No thanks - I have had a glo charger start fire in the house- NEVER EVER let anything charge un attended , not to mention a lipo pack.

Mike.. something to keep in mind.. (I wish I could share the video..its AWESOME)

When the lipo blows the lid open on the ammo can (Sounds like a Shotgun going off) the flames shoot out the sides of the opening. (the force is incredible)

If you have them in your shop its best to just open the lid and direct the flame straight upward.

Don’t put that ammo can under a work bench. Best to have it in as much open area as you can.

Be safe..

Grim

Just saw your post Grim. That is good info. Looks like I need to find another location to store these things! Mike

You mean the Lipos will blow even in storage
Extra care should be taken with any lipos that were in violent crashes and/or show physical damage or marks and especially any that show noticeable issues when charging and balancing (like a cell that's showing low/no volts). And personally I feel charging lipos without balance charging EVERY TIME is flat out foolishness and just asking for trouble (I even balance charge my life RX packs every time). Voltage irregularities between cells is the fastest way to see early on if something isn't right inside a pack. I store all my packs in the LipoSack brand storage bags and then inside 50 cal. ammo cans with the lid seal removed so it's not airtight. The folks at LipoSack (http://www.liposack.com) are the only ones I've seen that stand behind their product to the point that they show a video if how well the sack works by purposely igniting one in the pack. They also will replace the sack free of charge if you have a pack fire and ask that you send the sack that contained the fire in to them for the free replacement even if it appears ok (as far as I know nobody else does this). That way they can study and stay on top of offering a first rate product. From their website-

FREE REPLACEMENT GUARANTEE

Avoid damage to the LipoSack. Replace if it becomes ripped, worn or is involved in a battery ignition.

If your LipoSack is involved in an ignition resulting in a venting of the battery and fire send us an email at [email protected] with a statement of the circumstances and receive a replacement LipoSack free of charge!

And lastly, spend the extra coin on top rate lipos. This is one place where the phrase you get what you pay for seems to ring true.
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
wow just watched the liposak battery fire vid....from there web site very impressive I need to get another one now

You can use the discharge function on your charger, or you can simply put the charged pack into the salt water - it just takes longer to discharge. Don't use a metal bucket!!

Thank you, Jay, your comments have always been useful and constructive.

Since you are here, like to know what is happening to "RC Boat Modeller" magazine?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back