Don Pinkert

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Webb

I'm wondering what ever happened to Don. He did live north of Tampa and went to Dover sometime to run. Last time I saw him was about 7-8 yrs ago. Just curious since he had some bad azz boats back in the day. I had one of his Gator kits. Good runner and nice looking.

When I stop in to see Eric Canto next week I will ask him how he is doing.

He always talks about Don thy spent many days at the pond together.

Ol' Don is still around. Every so often he sends out a "rant" e-mail about something or other related to what he did for RC model boating.

JD
Yeah Jerry, he's so famous that he got a spot named after him at Thread Lake in Flint! :D Good old Pinckert Point has eaten a lot of boats over the years.

You guys know rattling his cage will bring him out. But no one knows how to get him back in it

Sounds like a lot of guys don't care for DP. I know the last time I saw him yrs ago in Dover, he was kinda strutting around like everyone knew him. Most did not.

Ol' Don is still around. Every so often he sends out a "rant" e-mail about something or other related to what he did for RC model boating.

JD
Yeah Jerry, he's so famous that he got a spot named after him at Thread Lake in Flint! :D Good old Pinckert Point has eaten a lot of boats over the years.
Yup, Pinckert Rock to be more accurate, John Bridge and I were standing right next to him when he ran his rigger into the rock on shore with what would very well have been the first 80 mph pass.

Thanks, John

Sounds like a lot of guys don't care for DP. I know the last time I saw him yrs ago in Dover, he was kinda strutting around like everyone knew him. Most did not.
It is not that we don't like him. He has been a friend of mine for years. But I think his brain is wondering around a little. And Mikey is right if we get him stired up we will not be able to get him back into the box.

I swapped a couple e-mails with Don the other day, he's doing fine. Regardless of how much dander gets stirred up there is no denying he did bring a lot to this hobby that we all still benefit from. ;)
Second that. I would just like to talk and pick his brain sometime to learn more from him. But when I try he always bashes me on what we all do wrong.

He's got to be 60+ yrs old. So am I and I know how the brain box can rattel on w/o any logic to youngsters. We just think different, I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
My first rigger was a 20 Coyote....got my first trophy and dunking with that boat...still have it...cost me a whopping 57.00 for the kit! I remember i could call him anytime, and he was more than happy to help me out, and he always said hey to me at the races....i know he,s very opinionated, but he always treated me right! DOGGONE BETCHA! I hope he's doing OK.....he did alot for the hobby.

Hey Ken,

Don is doing fine. He is actually 77 years old and has been my Friend since 1959. He and my Father, Gus, were stationed in England, in the USAF - 1959 - 1962 - we were flying Control line speed/team race/combat and some free flight classes back then.

He doesn't do this "talk show" - just read over a few of the comments in this thread to have a view as to why. He has done more for the model boating than most, and owes this community nothing. CHEERS !!! Bob Johnson

All I know is that it's just one of those names that I've heard for over 30+ years just like many others who have been around this but know nothing about him personally. I'm guessing that in another 30 there will be others whose names will keep popping up.

Bob Johnson: Did your dadGus happen to live in Miami many years ago and be a model boater? If so I think I met him in St Pete yrs ago at a boat get together. I believe he gave me a K&B carb. Very nice man.

It is a shame most of the old boaters are at the point that what thy know will go to the grave with them.

This hobby will die off it is inevitable.

Unless the attitudes change and the torch is handed off to the next generation.

This "Talk show" is only what you make of it!!!!!!!

Long live Nitro boating.

David Wilfong

Hey Ken,

Yes he did, then Stuart in the late 70s.

David,

I do not agree with you. Boaters like Don Pinckert have done their best to promote the hobby for years through boat kits, and numerous innovations that we all use, and benefit from in many different forms today. We have come a long way from Stinger cast rudder assemblies, Kool Clamps, and Kraft radios. Boating hardware is readily available today, and we have expanded to include gas and FE classes. I miss the development of the variety of hulls developed by many over the years, but believe today's boaters have much better equipment available to them today largely due to the efforts of boaters like Don Pinckert and many others over the years. CHEERS!!! Bob

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back