Doing sleeve work on the mill

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toyotatruckin

I need some ideas on how to hold the sleeve for mill work with-out hurting the sleeve any, thought about a wooden dowel or plastic dowel just a hair smaller than the inside of the sleeve with an X cut in the end of it and a hole in the center with a screw/bolt when you turn it in it would spread the dowel open and make it tight so it wouldnt move, just my thoughts but I wanna know what others have used

I would just turn down a spud to slightly smaller the bottom ID of the sleeve. That way, the natural pinch in the sleeve will get tighter as you push the sleeve onto the spud. Then drill and tap the end of it for a bolt and large washer to hold the sleeve tight against the spud. That make sense bro?

Last edited by a moderator:
i use brass or aluminum.i use a chinese made indexer similar to a harig grind all,the style with the v block.i make the spuds with a 1 inch shank to go in the v block,other end fits in the sleeve.i turn and bore a piece of aluminum to fit the od of the sleeve,then cut out a chunck and drill a hole in it,and use that to clamp the sleeve to the spud,through the exhaust port. sometimes i will use a washer and bolt on the bottom.you have to be carefull about this,and only use this method with the heavier wall sleeves,as you could crush the smaller ones(21"s)

mostly all I mess with is 21 and under, Ill tinker around with a couple junk sleeves see what I come up with, just figure I have a mill here why not take some of the hand work out of it

I need some ideas on how to hold the sleeve for mill work with-out hurting the sleeve any, thought about a wooden dowel or plastic dowel just a hair smaller than the inside of the sleeve with an X cut in the end of it and a hole in the center with a screw/bolt when you turn it in it would spread the dowel open and make it tight so it wouldnt move, just my thoughts but I wanna know what others have used
The best way to hold any liner for machining windows or grinding the chrome plating is to hold it only by the liner's lip!

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=357

Jim Allen

Last edited by a moderator:
The best way to hold any liner for machining windows or grinding the chrome plating is to hold it only by the liner's lip!

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=357

Jim Allen
Word! Ive learned a lot just from Mr. Allen's photo input. :)

The Shoe

Latest posts

Back