Discussion on lowering nitro %

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just take the new CMB RS EVO 45/90/101 eng out of the box stick the plug thy give you in it and run 20% that is what thy where designed to run on.
Change the prop and have at it.

Last edited:
NAMBA paddle boat racing. Can't get no cheaper than rubber bands. o_O :rolleyes:🤣

True enough, and could be an otherwise brilliant plan - problem is this: The broken rubber bands floating in the water "could potentially be" consumed by the ducks or fish causing higher than normal instances of flatulence which in turn causes damage to the ozone layer, furthering global warming.

I guess we will have to run rubber bands to get any one to show up at the races any way as it looks.
How about if I run 20% at the Miami racer think thy will "GET IT" and show up....... 🤫

Well we all can agree or disagree,in the end no Org. is going to mandate any fuel restrictions. Our main concern is parts and pieces,plugs are at the forefront for now we have a few suppliers. We have had struggles with fuel<NITRO before and survived. Very few races can bring 100 boats to an event without the help of Gas and Fe. To keep going we must support these suppliers who ever they are.
HERE HERE! WELL SAID.......ITS REALLY THAT SIMPLE!

AMEN, Terry!...reminds me of how it was in the 70's and 80's! ;)
In 1978 I built my first boat.... a Dumas hot shot tunnel....had no idea how to rig it or run it.....I met 2 guys that i will never forget.....Charlie Lockett and Cal Lange.
I had no idea that Cal Lange was one the fastest model boat racers in the country at the time, I only know that not only did he invite me over to his house for several nights to rig the boat, he even met me at a pond with my family to see the boat run....showed me how to start it, set the needle and fall in love with the hobby, which I have for over 40 years!
Tom Foley, Rick Belinger, Marty Davis, Norm Doer, Rod Hendrix, Warren Trembley, Andy Greene, Randy Premo, John Otto, Gene Mongar, Joe Wiebelhaus, Larry Beals, and so many more great people that ive met that have helped me way back in the 70s to these times.......unselfish and giving....all these people run nitro and if we set the same example that these and many others have set, than nitro might still have a chance to continue.

Started to read this post to see what’s going on and found myself exhausted after just a couple pages and wondered, what does this remind me of, then it struck me - a bad sequel to “Grumpy Old Men”. Walter Mathhau would be right at home in this movie!

Just my imagination running away with itself - gave me a chuckle.

^^^ I was wonder if he was running a stroker rubber band.

Reminds me of a silly story at work back in the early 90's. Aerospace manufacturing firm I worked at, co-worker Victor had a desk in a cube across the aisle from me. Vic was kinda jumpy, a touch of some PTSD from military days, so we used to have a bit of fun with it. Nothing mean, everyone got a chuckle to include Vic.

Metal desks had multi-compartment trays in the center shallow drawer that were smooth and cupped front to back - nice and round. Paper clip a rubber band across the dividers, slip a business card in it and wind it up about 10 turns, then fill the compartment with paper punch dots. Carefully slide the drawer closed. Trap is set.

When pulled open, the victim got a surprise shower of paper dots. :)

Last edited:
John,

Even with rubber bands you like a twin set up.
The paddles look like black walnut with a little
more leading edge pitch added to the front edges.
They will need to be hardened with some marine
Systems Three Epoxy. Nice set up though! 👍
Thanks For Sharing,
Mark Sholund

John,

Even with rubber bands you like a twin set up.
The paddles look like black walnut with a little
more leading edge pitch added to the front edges.
They will need to be hardened with some marine
Systems Three Epoxy. Nice set up though! 👍
Thanks For Sharing,
Mark Sholund
I stole it from someone a few years ago, still a twin so had to save it.
I did props for a group of street rodders in the Detroit area that had drag races in the pool of the hotel at their winter gathering. Octura X457’s, many had multiple drives, at least 4 and I think I remember a 6 prop setup as well. Then they would have valve cover races using rubber band power as well. Cabin fever for sure!

As things in our hobby get more expensive and harder to obtain, let’s have a discussion about limiting nitro content.
First I’d like to say, that one of my favorite aspects of nitro boats has always been the freedom to mod and run as high of fuel as you want. But as the hobby shrinks, I believe it won’t last much longer if we keep it this way.
Back in the early 90’s I ran 33% fuel. I mixed fuel for the owner of a local hobby shop and realized I could get 3 gallons of fuel from a gallon of nitro. And being in my early 20’s I didn’t have a lot to spend. Well it ran great. I had a 67sg and single 90 eagle both in the 92-93 mph range in a heat set up. The difference was less acceleration.
When I came back to boats 8 yrs ago, I had a discussion with Andy and he said I should continue with 33%. Nope. I’m going to use 50%. And I did in the 67 And up and 65% in 21 and 46. But a cpl years ago I dropped back to 42% in the big motors. For a few reasons. And I am faster now then before. Not necessarily from lower nitro. But my point is it can be done.
I can run a pair of plugs in my twin for 2 full race weekends. The smaller engines not as much but if I slowed them down a bit I am sure I could. Even on 65%. But still could be plenty fast on lower nitro.
We could literally keep plugs a lot longer and finish more races.
The time trials can still use whatever nitro content you want.
Hopefully some of the overseas guys and those who have raced overseas can chime in. They have been doing it for years.
There are stand up people in this hobby that are vendors and contributors that do a lot for it much to keep us alive. We need to help them as well. There is efforts by many trying to bring new products out and keep costs down. But we need to collectively work on a solution.
Agree or not it’s a discussion we need to have.

Yesterday I was running in a new cmb45 M-line on 30% nitro, it easy ran 80mph in race trim with a lot more in it, only had 3/4 of a gal of 30% with me or would have seen 85mph+ No problem...

Attachments

• 454CF494-795E-4B45-9962-E672C9E84884.jpeg
    454CF494-795E-4B45-9962-E672C9E84884.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 46
  • C677AFF2-8174-4889-BC88-D002925CA627.jpeg
    C677AFF2-8174-4889-BC88-D002925CA627.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 51
Yesterday I was running in a new cmb45 M-line on 30% nitro, it easy ran 80mph in race trim with a lot more in it, only had 3/4 of a gal of 30% with me or would have seen 85mph+ No problem...
Can you tell me compare between CMB 45 RS EVO and CMB45 M-line which one more power and torque? Turbo plug than std glow for M-line?

I ran my F Mono (the one pictured in my avatar) on 0 (zero) percent nitro for 2 seasons here in District 12. Ran with the CMB 90 with a new head button with lower volume and set to around 10thou head clearance. Ran like a raped ape.
Won many races with that set up. You can check with the guys here in Dist. 12 how it ran. Never had any over heat problems or touchy needles. Can not remember the prop I used on it other than it was a couple sizes of diameter smaller and pitched up. The boat presently it powered by twin outrunners. Yes it was turned in to a FE boat.
Carl Cisneros

I ran my F Mono (the one pictured in my avatar) on 0 (zero) percent nitro for 2 seasons here in District 12. Ran with the CMB 90 with a new head button with lower volume and set to around 10thou head clearance. Ran like a raped ape.
Won many races with that set up. You can check with the guys here in Dist. 12 how it ran. Never had any over heat problems or touchy needles. Can not remember the prop I used on it other than it was a couple sizes of diameter smaller and pitched up. The boat presently it powered by twin outrunners. Yes it was turned in to a FE boat.
Carl Cisneros

Back