Discussion on lowering nitro %

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny King

As things in our hobby get more expensive and harder to obtain, let’s have a discussion about limiting nitro content.
First I’d like to say, that one of my favorite aspects of nitro boats has always been the freedom to mod and run as high of fuel as you want. But as the hobby shrinks, I believe it won’t last much longer if we keep it this way.
Back in the early 90’s I ran 33% fuel. I mixed fuel for the owner of a local hobby shop and realized I could get 3 gallons of fuel from a gallon of nitro. And being in my early 20’s I didn’t have a lot to spend. Well it ran great. I had a 67sg and single 90 eagle both in the 92-93 mph range in a heat set up. The difference was less acceleration.
When I came back to boats 8 yrs ago, I had a discussion with Andy and he said I should continue with 33%. Nope. I’m going to use 50%. And I did in the 67 And up and 65% in 21 and 46. But a cpl years ago I dropped back to 42% in the big motors. For a few reasons. And I am faster now then before. Not necessarily from lower nitro. But my point is it can be done.
I can run a pair of plugs in my twin for 2 full race weekends. The smaller engines not as much but if I slowed them down a bit I am sure I could. Even on 65%. But still could be plenty fast on lower nitro.
We could literally keep plugs a lot longer and finish more races.
The time trials can still use whatever nitro content you want.
Hopefully some of the overseas guys and those who have raced overseas can chime in. They have been doing it for years.
There are stand up people in this hobby that are vendors and contributors that do a lot for it much to keep us alive. We need to help them as well. There is efforts by many trying to bring new products out and keep costs down. But we need to collectively work on a solution.
Agree or not it’s a discussion we need to have.

I think the heat racing would get better with lower nitro... motors wouldn't be so touchy with needle settings and not burning plugs running on the edge of lean.
I've seen it done, motors built for torque running 25% fuel, pulling big props.
The boats were more consistent, finished more heats, and won plenty of races..

I definitely think the twin rigger class could benefit from this,, with more boats still running after 6 laps, the racing would improve.. instead of a one or two boat finish..

As things in our hobby get more expensive and harder to obtain, let’s have a discussion about limiting nitro content.
First I’d like to say, that one of my favorite aspects of nitro boats has always been the freedom to mod and run as high of fuel as you want. But as the hobby shrinks, I believe it won’t last much longer if we keep it this way.
Back in the early 90’s I ran 33% fuel. I mixed fuel for the owner of a local hobby shop and realized I could get 3 gallons of fuel from a gallon of nitro. And being in my early 20’s I didn’t have a lot to spend. Well it ran great. I had a 67sg and single 90 eagle both in the 92-93 mph range in a heat set up. The difference was less acceleration.
When I came back to boats 8 yrs ago, I had a discussion with Andy and he said I should continue with 33%. Nope. I’m going to use 50%. And I did in the 67 And up and 65% in 21 and 46. But a cpl years ago I dropped back to 42% in the big motors. For a few reasons. And I am faster now then before. Not necessarily from lower nitro. But my point is it can be done.
I can run a pair of plugs in my twin for 2 full race weekends. The smaller engines not as much but if I slowed them down a bit I am sure I could. Even on 65%. But still could be plenty fast on lower nitro.
We could literally keep plugs a lot longer and finish more races.
The time trials can still use whatever nitro content you want.
Hopefully some of the overseas guys and those who have raced overseas can chime in. They have been doing it for years.
There are stand up people in this hobby that are vendors and contributors that do a lot for it much to keep us alive. We need to help them as well. There is efforts by many trying to bring new products out and keep costs down. But we need to collectively work on a solution.
Agree or not it’s a discussion we need to have.
This has potential to be a good, productive discussion. :)

If you want to run less go ahead and do it.
My self I will run all I can.
Dam dude you sound more like a politician every day.

What’s the motor setup difference? What head clearance change do you need with lower Nitro content. I know way back we used to run 30 percent.

Also, the traditional "nitro" classes provide for more of a range of model and engine size, respectively. We have A (.20), B (.40), C (.60), X (.80 and larger), etc.,...And the models range in size typically from 27" to 45", and up to 50" in length. One could choose to start off with a 30", A size mono.

While, on the other hand, seems most GAS model classes range from typically 50" in length and larger. I love these large scale GAS models, as their large size handle well in most water conditions. However, (in my case) they are quite a bit to deal with physically handling while building, and storing, etc.,..

What is so horribly wrong with running 30to 40% nitro in our toy race boats? I run 60% in my boats, but have zero problems with dropping down if it saves a little money and draws people in.......maybe it wont do a thing to help the current situation, but it beats the hell out of doing nothing at all other than sitting back and watching the hobby simply die!

Latest posts

Back