Dedication or Insanity?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dedication or insanity?

• Total voters
My backyard this afternoon in Tranna:

full

Last edited:
I tried to check both LOL
When I lived in Angola Ind. I went out in the lake, on December 24 th on my pontoon and broke in and engine ran 4 or 5 tanks thru my 40 hydro and came back in almost frozen and happy Then had to take out the boat for the winter, that is one reason I now live in Alabama.
Walt Barney

Last edited:
Yes , Insane ! I have done something like that in my first year of boating , running with ice actively forming on the pond , then foolishly going out in a 2 man blow up raft with waders on and no life vest to get a boat that had gone up on the ice ! Survived somehow .

This hobby is insane
Ive run my boats in December
Returned to shore covered with ice from
wind chilled water spray
Seemed like fun for a minute

Don't have the cold here (Florida) but I have run boats on flooded soccer fields the day after a hurricane. You have to be mindful of displaced alligators

The 3EGX was set up in Mode 1. It wouldn't have taken much to change it to Mode 2(throttle on the left), just open up the case and rotate the gimbals 90 degrees, swap the center returns so the ratchet is on the left gimbal, close the case again and you're good to go. Since it wouldn't have had any of the electronics screwed with, it wouldn't have required a certified shop to do the work

The only insane thing I saw was that old 3EGX radio with the throttle stick on the right side. 🤪

The 3EGX was set up in Mode 1. It wouldn't have taken much to change it to Mode 2(throttle on the left), just open up the case and rotate the gimbals 90 degrees, swap the center returns so the ratchet is on the left gimbal, close the case again and you're good to go. Since it wouldn't have had any of the electronics screwed with, it wouldn't have required a certified shop to do the work

Lol! You don't know the pain I go through to convert these old radios TO Mode 1!

I flew airplanes as a kid in the mid 70's and my instructor at the time was on Mode 1 (IIRC Mode 2 was just starting), used my Royal tx on Mode 1 for my first boats and never switched. Tried the wheel thing a couple times and just can't get on to it.

full

https://www.intlwaters.com/media/mode-1.30426/

See how Martin Truex drives?

Last edited:
My first two radios were from the same timeframe. The first was a T2GS on 72.160 and the second was a T4NL on 72.750. I bought the T2GS for my first boat, a Dumas Pay'N Pak. While it worked, it wasn't great. I converted it from Mode 1 to Mode 2 after I bought the T4NL to control the Kadet Jr I was building so I wouldn't get the controls mixed up. It also was easier for me to use since the ailerons and elevator were on the right stick and I'm right handed. Neither one has been used in years since neither was upgraded to the narrow band standard and I replaced them with a pair of 4PLSs for the boats and a 9CAP for the planes.

Latest posts

Back