Dave Frank 28" oh boy oberto.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Schmidt

I bought the plans for this boat from Ariage about a year ago or so but haven't had the time to build. I might have time this winter

Has anyone built this boat and if so how well does it handle and perform

In the RC boat modeler magazine Dave says the boat does 45 miles an hour and that's with old school technology I wonder how well this boat would do with the advanced batteries and engines we have today

In the late 1990s That hull dominated our club's sport 40 class with K&B power. I ran its big brother with B\both K60 and electric power. The electric version won the Electric Nationals and still holds the NAMBA 1/8 scale and T hydro 2 lap records.

Lohring Miller

I've never done an electric set up yet I'm just getting familiar with some of the classifications. It seems that this boat would be right in between P limited and P giving it is 28 inches in length .

Which way would be best to set it up p limited or p?

I've never done an electric set up yet I'm just getting familiar with some of the classifications. It seems that this boat would be right in between P limited and P giving it is 28 inches in length .

Which way would be best to set it up p limited or p?
At 28", I think the boat is going to be small for the power to today's brushless motors and a 4S pack. I would recommend you increase the size to 32" which is the size of my 1/10 scale 8255 BOAT with a 1500 kv motor on 4S. Just a suggestion.

JD

Thanks for the info on this Boat.
So normally when you add length to the boat I should add it at the rear the transom right Jerry.

And also maybe I'm not understanding the classes as I should I was thinking that the P Limited class. is about equivalent to a 12 size or a size A Nitro class and P class was about where the 21 or B class nitro is and Q class was like the 40 nitro class or 10th scale . I need to know if I'm understanding this correctly.

Jerry you mentioned that your 32 inch boat was 10th scale so I know the electric class and the nitro class are two different things but just trying to get a grasp on what size hull belong to what class

And what are some of the best performing motors and ESC's on the market today what would you recommend I buy. I have some electric airplanes that I fly just for pleasure out in my schoolyard in my neighborhood so I know about batteries a little bit. But when you say 4 s, would that be just one 4 S battery pack to run these engines or two sometimes I see two batteries in photos of these boats.

I've been running nitro for a long time but I've been seeing some of these electric boats in a really interest me and I'm thinking I would like to get into the electric little more.

So I am cutting my teeth on this and have a lot to learn about voltage motor load and how much battery I need I certainly don't wanna run my boat and have a catch on fire at 60 miles an hour LOL

And I really enjoy building boats so I want to build my own stuff from Plans. Fun stuff

Thanks Jim

Well pardon me but I should probably just go into the IMPBA rulebook and check out the sizes for each class right? but anyway on the engines, batteries and ESC's let me know what works well.

I'm not afraid to get nice stuff. In all my nitro boats I buy CMB and nova Rossi's so I kind of want to stay with quality on my electric as well
Thanks
Jim

Well pardon me but I should probably just go into the IMPBA rulebook and check out the sizes for each class right? but anyway on the engines, batteries and ESC's let me know what works well.

I'm not afraid to get nice stuff. In all my nitro boats I buy CMB and nova Rossi's so I kind of want to stay with quality on my electric as well
Thanks
Jim
Here's what I'm running in my 1/10 scale: Himax 1500 kv motor,ZTW 130 amp ESC, Turngy Graphine 4S 75C, .150 cable, and Savox waterproof servo. All this would work in a P Limited Class(well, a NAMBA P Limited Class). I'm thinking of making a P Limited Sport Hydro to run at next year's NAMBA Nats and just use all my 1/10 Scale stuff.

JD

Thanks Jerry, for the information on the manufacturers and set up
It's a good start for me. I will be asking more as I build.

My hull was an 1/8 scale hull, not a 1/10 scale boat. The boat from the magazine plans was sport 40 size, at least 35" long.

Lohring Miller

loring

do you mean a 1/8 scale 8255 hull ?
newton plan no 138 ?
Phil Thomas 82U55 hull ?

did you enlarge the original dave frank sp40 plans ?
or the 28 inch oberto plan mentioned above ?

I enlarged the 28in oberto plan to 43in for gas power
I used the gas sport cowl for the Phil Thomas 82U55 hull
ran good with a zen 260

thank you

Attachments

• ObertoHydroplane.pdf
    355.4 KB · Views: 45
  • get-attachment.aspx copy.jpeg
    get-attachment.aspx copy.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 69
  • get-attachment-6.aspx.jpeg
    get-attachment-6.aspx.jpeg
    847.2 KB · Views: 68
Wow !!! That thing is beautiful.
Dave, was that you in that video where you were showing everybody how to seal a boat by diluting Epoxyif so I enjoyed it

My boat was built by Dave Frank. I'm sure it was similar to his sport 40. It was driven by Paul Dunlap and subsequently sold. Jerry got it back and gave it to me. I rebuilt it and ran it a few years. I gave it to Brian Buaas to make a mold for a epoxy glass r carbon hull.

Lohring Miller

Wow !!! That thing is beautiful.
Dave, was that you in that video where you were showing everybody how to seal a boat by diluting Epoxyif so I enjoyed it

james,
thank you
I built it with enlarged U55 plan in rc boat modeler magazine
I did same with the atlas U00 plan in the magazine
no, not me in video

My boat was built by Dave Frank. I'm sure it was similar to his sport 40. It was driven by Paul Dunlap and subsequently sold. Jerry got it back and gave it to me. I rebuilt it and ran it a few years. I gave it to Brian Buaas to make a mold for a epoxy glass r carbon hull.

Lohring Miller

thank you

Dave, when you enlarged your plans for the 43 inch gasser you built did you stick true to the plans the bottom of them sponson's are really different than I've ever seen.

I was always used to seeing the cutaways or the air dams in the middle and never on the outside let me know if you went this route staying true to the plans with the bottom of the sponsors.

I am not only using these plans for 10 scale electric but I am building sport 40 nitro with the same plans I expand them in respect to the size as they need to be.

I am building both of these off the 28 inch 12 cell O'Boyle Berto that Dave made and model Boulder magazine

Hi all built the Dave Frank sport .40 back around 2002 ran it with a picco .45 a very competitive boat. I also bought plans for the Dave Frank for the 28 Oberto and the 21 inch Miss rock from around 1990 . MY question here is both the mentioned plans where designed for the brushed cobalt motors from the 90 s has anyone changed anything on the sponson bottoms or the tunnel mid section bottom! I want to build the 21 inch version for b/l power thinking of lowering the mid tunnel section towards the bow 3/8 of an inch to avoid the narrow belly pan and make more room for lipos and 120 amp esc any suggestions welcome. Regards Andris Golts.

Andrés, did your sport 40 Dave Frank have the same sponson design has 28 inch Dave Frank?
Sorry I can't help you with your question because I kind of have some of the same questions I thought about redesigning the sponson bottoms
Thanks Jim

Back