Dave Frank 28" oh boy oberto.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave, when you enlarged your plans for the 43 inch gasser you built did you stick true to the plans the bottom of them sponson's are really different than I've ever seen.

I was always used to seeing the cutaways or the air dams in the middle and never on the outside let me know if you went this route staying true to the plans with the bottom of the sponsors.

I am not only using these plans for 10 scale electric but I am building sport 40 nitro with the same plans I expand them in respect to the size as they need to be.

Jim

yes I built center tub and sponsons almost same as shown on plans
I added layer of 1/32 ply on top of the 1/16 ply to build up height
of the recovery pads the front ends of the sponsons
my boat has 1/8 ply frames with 1/16 ply skins
yes too much wood too much epoxy

it's heavy but very stable with zen 260 power and PT sport cowl
I put a nose on the bow block to locate the cowl further forward for
the gas engine. I am sure this helps to prevent blow overs
compared to the dave frank semi-scale design
compare the center line engine well with offset wells in 138-8255 scales

yes the tunnel air relief sponson notches and ride pad angles are different left and right my 43 inch gasser ran good with a stock zen 260
a gas sport play boat

I used an extended flat bottom strut and 4 inch rudder bracket
to make the boat longer a typical gas sport set up when i
built my boat in 2004

I suggest building your boat as shown on plans possibly eliminating
the tunnel floor break angle similar to the flat floor ML sport designs
I don't remember if the plans show a tunnel break or not. see above

compare details with newton 138-8255 plans based scales
dave frank designed a great looking good running boat

Thanks Dave. I enlarged The 28 inch Dave Frank plans 30% for my sport 40 build, and 12% for my electric 10th scale build.

I see what you were recommending about the center section inside frame having a break it does have this making it flat makes sense. But I think I will build one with a flat floor and one with the curved tunnel break center section and try them both.

I have a good feeling about this boat I think I'll end up with something pretty nice.

I was impressed with your gas build from these plans I never thought of blowing them up to the size you want thanks for the inspiration.

I'm Setting up the sport 40 with the CMB RS evo

I talk to Jerry Dunlap about the electric boat I have a 1500 KV engine 4s 75C and 130 amp ESC for this build.

I am looking forward to a great building season.
Now that is social distancing without a face mask LOL

Thanks
Jim

Dave, when you enlarged your plans for the 43 inch gasser you built did you stick true to the plans the bottom of them sponson's are really different than I've ever seen.
I was always used to seeing the cutaways or the air dams in the middle and never on the outside let me know if you went this route staying true to the plans with the bottom of the sponsors.

jim
pictures of a Phil Thomas 1/8 scale 82U55
see the sponson notches and centerline engine well pan
my sponsons are same but no pan in mine

Attachments

• post-1758-0-30289900-1464919688.jpeg
    post-1758-0-30289900-1464919688.jpeg
    99.7 KB · Views: 42
  • post-1758-0-73478900-1464919649.jpeg
    post-1758-0-73478900-1464919649.jpeg
    92.2 KB · Views: 43
Thanks Dave, I think I will make the bottom of the center section flat. It occurred to me that the original plans Dave frank designed is for 12 cell batteries and they are heavy. So there might be to much lift for what I am trying to do with my electric build and the sport 40 nitro build.
Especially at the speeds we are running today.

That boat needed more lift to compensate for the weight the old 12 cell electrics had.

Thanks for the pictures of the sponsons. It gives me confidence to stick with the sponson design on the plans.

jim
pictures of a Phil Thomas 1/8 scale 82U55
see the sponson notches and centerline engine well pan
my sponsons are same but no pan in mine
Dave, The cut aways are not truly air dams. It helps to offset the boat for engine torq. It makes the boat run straighter without having to set trim on the rudder to keep the boat straight. Makes the boat extremely faster.

Back