Cutting Sheeting

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GraysonTaylor

Supporting Member
What's your favorite tool for cutting sheeting? The table saw was great for the bottom, but what about the curves? I have a bandsaw, but the tooth count is normal band saw size and too course for thin sheet material, although I haven't tried it. In the old days, I labored with a large Exacto.

I’ve used a diamond tip tile saw blade on my scroll saw and it does very good. Especially on C/F. It doesn’t gab on you really bad.

Hi Scott, I have the diamond one that is listed on your link. The only reason I have it is becuase I was getting a right angle dremal drive and remembered that you mentioned the wheel in one of your videos. I haven't even opened it up yet. I'll give it a try. Thank you for the support!

I use tin snips to cut 1/32 and 1/16 ply. It's not the smoothest on the edges but I just get it close and the rest gets sanded off anyway.

Hey David, I just tried the tin snips and it was supper fast and no mess. I don't think the snips I used have ever touched metal before, inherited. .... worked great. I'll practice more before I commit to it. :)

I have used about all the techniques above. When I want a really clean cut on 1-1 1/2 mil ply I use a large handle Stanley non-retracting razor knife (the Flintstone job with the screw together handle) and a straight edge. The first couple of cuts are just lightly scoring the wood and creating a channel that the blade will be self tracking as you apply more pressure. Multiple light cuts make a really nice and clean cut.

Changing the blade frequently keeps the cuts clean. The old blades make great spreaders for wood fillers and Bondo.

Agreed... For straight cuts you can't beat a box cutter with a quality blade. I cut up to 1/16 aircraft quality ply with it. I clamp stock and straight edge together to the cutting table, to hold everything tight, as it requires multiple passes with the blade.

If you're going to cut aluminum, WD-40 makes a great lubricant. Just keep the blade wet and don't force the cut and it should work fine. I've been doing that with an old B&D 7" saw without a problem

I have a metal cutting blade that tried and I think I used cutting oil on it. Messy and the next time I got the saw out, the rubber on the wheels was gone. Now I've got urethane bands on it.

Back