Crank Balancing

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Cathey

Supporting Member
Anybody good and reliable people out there that does crank balancing with the tungsten plugs like Scott Bouchie used to do? I just checked with him and he's not doing it anymore.

Last edited:
Thanks fellas, connected with Kent and shipping today.

Something did cross my mind however. I have owned quite a few hot rods (back in the Flintstones days) and had a lot of balancing done on cranks, equalizing weights on pistons and rods and so on. SO, how do you balance a crankshaft with only a single lobe? It's always going to be heavier on the lobe side isn't it? It's probably a simple answer but it escapes me 🤔. Seems like you would have to add the weight of the piston, rod and needle bearings and hang on the crank pin to balance?

Mike,
Several years ago, I did the math on balance percentages on cranks that I new ran well. I had several conversations with Scott Bouchie (who was slugging cranks for us) and convinced him on changing what he did. His target was always balancing at 50% on any motor. I saw at this percentage was too much. Some of the larger displacement motors , this was actually twisting the motor cases. Also, found that the 91 VAC's should not be slugged. Saw some of those motors were ruined when slugged.
Stu

Latest posts

Back