Cowl trimming

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A dremel cut off wheel, a round sand bit and a steady hand. Make your outline first. Then cut just above it that way you can’t cut to much off by accident. I learned this the hard way.

some of the cowlings on the real boats have something similar to an A post so the get the right look (if you care) a band of material needs to be left. Check the photos of the boat you are building.

I like to use a slow speed Dremel with a cutting disc and then come back with a Popsicle stick with sandpaper adhered to the stick to finish it out. Im sure there will be a million ways to do it.

Bradley's suggestion can also be done using sanding media from most auto body supply houses. One thing that may be of use is sanding sponges. If you haven't seen them, they are a soft foam sponge with sanding media attached, usually by glue. Since it's foam backed, you can shape it to pretty much any shape needed for more accurate sanding

This morning I took my Sharpie to a piece that will be waist and colored on it. Many hours later, I just wiped it off with a paper towel and lacquer thinner. Can't bleed if it's not there.

Once you sand epoxy glass, you have a surface that will collect dirt, finger prints and anything else. If you sand and use a pencil, wash well afterward.

Latest posts

Back