Could someone id this hydro?.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No a straight shaft is not better.. Yes it has less friction then a flex shaft, but the trust would be wrong directed and you lose any small efficiency benefit big times.

Looks like the rear sponsons were installed upside down. 🤪

You could be right. I don't think the guy was always dealing a full deck. The other kit I have was a bushwhacker 20 from him and these could be the rear sponsons from that kit . Also the bushwacker 20 hull was assembled upside down so the holes for booms are in the wrong position and the bulkheads were glued in crooked. I hate to say it but I am thinking this whole thing might be good kindling at best.

Here's a picture of a Crapshooter from around 75, I would consider 1st generation boat. I won 76 NAMBA nats with this and haven't run it since. We then went out to Mi. where they were made and I got the 2nd gen the boys came out with.

Attachments

• DSCN6769.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 56
Here's a picture of a Crapshooter from around 75, I would consider 1st generation boat. I won 76 NAMBA nats with this and haven't run it since. We then went out to Mi. where they were made and I got the 2nd gen the boys came out with.
That's what I'm talking about. I believe that's what he has. I had several of the 1st gen Crapshooters. Then got the larger boat, with the solid cast foam front sponsons, aluminum tube booms and sheet'd side rails. Guessing that design is what you refer to as 2nd gen?

When I was learning and getting the setup right on the 1st gen that you pictured, if memory serves me correctly Tim and the guys in the Michigan region were running RC carbs and short pipes like the control line guys. On the west coast the setup was venturi, exhaust throttle and tuned pipe. Some of what worked on a short pipe setup didn't work well a tuned pipe.

That's what I'm talking about. I believe that's what he has. I had several of the 1st gen Crapshooters. Then got the larger boat, with the solid cast foam front sponsons, aluminum tube booms and sheet'd side rails. Guessing that design is what you refer to as 2nd gen?

When I was learning and getting the setup right on the 1st gen that you pictured, if memory serves me correctly Tim and the guys in the Michigan region were running RC carbs and short pipes like the control line guys. On the west coast the setup was venturi, exhaust throttle and tuned pipe. Some of what worked on a short pipe setup didn't work well a tuned pipe.
When Tim, Charley and Dennis started, you could buy their Crapshooter 40, the engine of choice for them was an OS 40 airplane engine with a Kool Klamp and buy a B & S Octura 1460 from me and you’d have a 60 mph boat right out of the box. No tuned pipes back then, only megaphones, straight pipes or open exhaust. What’s that you say? Huh? Most of us have a hearing lose in our right ear from launching boats which open exhaust.
Thanks John

When Tim, Charley and Dennis started, you could buy their Crapshooter 40, the engine of choice for them was an OS 40 airplane engine with a Kool Klamp and buy a B & S Octura 1460 from me and you’d have a 60 mph boat right out of the box. No tuned pipes back then, only megaphones, straight pipes or open exhaust. What’s that you say? Huh? Most of us have a hearing lose in our right ear from launching boats which open exhaust.
Thanks John
Thanks John. At that point they didn't know the power of the OPS 60 yet. I built my first one with a piped OPS 60 and couldn't keep it on the water. I was clueless, the magazine ad/article guaranteed the Crapshooter would do 70 MPH with a decent 40 racing engine - SOLD. I called Tim and asked him if the boat could handle a 60 and he said it should. No disrespect to Tim on that one as he gave it his best guess. What my buddy and I didn't know about outriggers, we did know about how to get one of those old 60's singing right along.

Next move was to order another Crapshooter kit and build one up with a OPS 40 in it. Still had problems getting it to track straight and then to turn. So, I cut 1/4" of depth out of the front sponsons, put a much larger turn fin on it and an Octura wedge rudder. That boat ran great and drove like a Cadillac and would pull an uncut 1465 well.

Thanks for the history sir.

Last edited:
When I ran that 20 shooter I had a Taipan engine in it because it was first schurnle ported 21 available. Ran good but looking for more, put an OPS 29 in it and was a little too much for the boat to handle. Running in District 1, I ran a 20,40 & 60 shooter and did pretty good back in the day. OPS was the engine of choice until K&B and then we even used Supertiger X 40's and were able to turn the top portion of the motor around and did some porting and they ran well and never had too much breakage. Rod was very sturdy. K&B had cases breaking on us, mounting ears would come off. OS weren't too popular up here and not too available. By the way the Tiger X40's were $30, less carb, I had a G40 carb I ran on it. We had a guy making up exhaust throttles for the Tiger and that was the way we went with the tuned pipe.

Latest posts

Back