CMB 67 rod orientation?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry Keeley

Supporting Member
One face of the bottom end has 2 slots, the other has 3. Which way does it come from the factory?

I've been having issues with the rod contacting the counterweight on the crank and measured the clearance on both sides, either I've worn more on one side or they come that way.

Terry,

I just opened a 67 Blue head up from the factory. The three oil clearances were facing out when I removed the rotor housing assembly.

Hope this helps.

Bert

Terry
Is there a rad on the big end of the rod that goes on the crank pin.

Dave

Wow,,,, I hate to say it, but the machine work on that crank looks terrible when you enlarge the picture... sharp edges, a raised rib on the leading edge of the wing. ( where the rod was hitting it)

Terry, I am guessing that you checked to make sure that the rod is straight and not bent? Had a new one that was!

Something I noticed that might be contributing to it is the upper rod bushing can get banged out pretty quick, especially after breaking in a new piston & sleeve.

I've started watching that a lot closer now and re-bush them with 544 when they get a little sloppy.

Something I noticed that might be contributing to it is the upper rod bushing can get banged out pretty quick, especially after breaking in a new piston & sleeve.

I've started watching that a lot closer now and re-bush them with 544 when they get a little sloppy.

Does your dyno put any thrust against the engine? I have had to shim all my CMB cranks back to stop this. Small bearing towards transom.

Back