CMB 67 rod orientation?

Help Support intlwaters.com:

Terry Keeley

Supporting Member
One face of the bottom end has 2 slots, the other has 3. Which way does it come from the factory?

I've been having issues with the rod contacting the counterweight on the crank and measured the clearance on both sides, either I've worn more on one side or they come that way.

Bert Dygert

Terry,

I just opened a 67 Blue head up from the factory. The three oil clearances were facing out when I removed the rotor housing assembly.

Hope this helps.

Bert

Terry Keeley

Supporting Member
Terry,

I just opened a 67 Blue head up from the factory. The three oil clearances were facing out when I removed the rotor housing assembly.

Hope this helps.

Bert

Thanks, that's the way I had it in there. The old mule on the dyno must be gettin' tired. :(

dave roach

Terry
Is there a rad on the big end of the rod that goes on the crank pin.

Dave

Buckshot

Terry,
Is this the issue you were having? This is out of my V5.
AD9432DA-9793-45E5-BC3F-4BA6ADBBFF17.jpeg

Wasted wages

Wow,,,, I hate to say it, but the machine work on that crank looks terrible when you enlarge the picture... sharp edges, a raised rib on the leading edge of the wing. ( where the rod was hitting it)

DON MAHER

Terry, I am guessing that you checked to make sure that the rod is straight and not bent? Had a new one that was!

RaceMechaniX

Supporting Member
Buck, have you checked your bearings? I have seen this with collet setups and worn bearings.

Terry Keeley

Supporting Member
Terry, I am guessing that you checked to make sure that the rod is straight and not bent? Had a new one that was!
No, just visually. It was worn so much on the one side there was a groove in the drum but it had many, many gallons through it.

Mike Cathey

Supporting Member
Maybe add a couple more front case gaskets to give the rod some more room to float. The Picco squarecases were notorious for getting hot and pinching the rod between the crank and drum and usually a broken rod to show for it.

Terry Keeley

Supporting Member
Something I noticed that might be contributing to it is the upper rod bushing can get banged out pretty quick, especially after breaking in a new piston & sleeve.

I've started watching that a lot closer now and re-bush them with 544 when they get a little sloppy.

David Murany

Something I noticed that might be contributing to it is the upper rod bushing can get banged out pretty quick, especially after breaking in a new piston & sleeve.

I've started watching that a lot closer now and re-bush them with 544 when they get a little sloppy.
Does your dyno put any thrust against the engine? I have had to shim all my CMB cranks back to stop this. Small bearing towards transom.

Terry Keeley

Supporting Member
Does your dyno put any thrust against the engine? I have had to shim all my CMB cranks back to stop this. Small bearing towards transom.
Dyno doesn't put any thrust on the engine, this one spent most of it's life in the SAW boat tho...