Cmb 21 Beta head clearance

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OTHER-PRODUCTS

Scroll down to SPDG-100S Gauge Assy.

Many ways to check it, this is what I use. You can choose to buy the kit or get one of each adapter and buy a digital gauge at harbor freight.

Attachments

• F33134F7-A037-4FBC-9E46-FE30B6D07EDF.jpeg
    F33134F7-A037-4FBC-9E46-FE30B6D07EDF.jpeg
    90.7 KB · Views: 0
  • E9CA4A67-2F41-4CF0-ADB0-9DFB439B566B.png
    E9CA4A67-2F41-4CF0-ADB0-9DFB439B566B.png
    5.9 MB · Views: 0
I get close with a vernier caliper,then use the solder trick down the plug hole to recheck,,make sure the solder is touching the cylinder wall,,biggest problem is with the piston pushing the liner up at TDC because of the nip,,Either shim up the liner a 1/4 inch and subtract or with the head on, turn the engine over till you feel its at TDC, then remove head and measure,,I think I've also heard of some guys using plastigage to measure

That doesn’t sound right.
Is the engine brand new? Was it in a sealed box? Most engines come with shims. Not seen an engine come in with .015” with no shims.
New engine I bought it with the boat I did take it fully apart and you can see if has never been run. It did include 2 shims they just were not installed. Shims are .001 and .002

Daniels Racing on IW occasionally builds & sells a dial indicator similar to the Speedmaster shown above. Has a sleeve on the base w/standard glow plug threads. And can make an adapter for turbo glow plug buttons. W/O any shims in place, 1st Install tool into plug hole & use it to locate piston ATDC. Remove button with tool attached, place button on a flat surface and set it to 0. Reinstall button on engine w/tool attached, zeroed & no shims gives you the true head clearance measurement. Remove button, add shims required to raise button to preferred head clearance & your done. This is the method I like best & compensates for any dished/domed piston as well.
Brian Neumann

Daniels Racing on IW occasionally builds & sells a dial indicator similar to the Speedmaster shown above. Has a sleeve on the base w/standard glow plug threads. And can make an adapter for turbo glow plug buttons. W/O any shims in place, 1st Install tool into plug hole & use it to locate piston ATDC. Remove button with tool attached, place button on a flat surface and set it to 0. Reinstall button on engine w/tool attached, zeroed & no shims gives you the true head clearance measurement. Remove button, add shims required to raise button to preferred head clearance & your done. This is the method I like best & compensates for any dished/domed piston as well.
Brian Neumann
Ok I did the solder trick and im
Showing .015 with no shims which seems way off

Back