• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Int'l Waters and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Boats For Sale Chris Doherty scam

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My son just Googled os outboard and the first two pictures that came up were what he sent me and posted on the auction. He just grabbed photos and listed stuff on here.

I'm wondering if Don knows this guy, or possibly had dealings with him in the past.
In one of his post's, Don commented on his avitar photo, the Bacardi T-Boat.
Don built that boat, wonder if Don sold it to him??

Wow, so looks like Chris's join date is. Sept 2021 so how. Was he able meet the standard to sell stuff. Looks like at least 9 undelivered items. To bad our sale system is broken.
Our sale system is not broken, he met the minimum post count criteria to sell. I actually exchanged p/ms with him 3 weeks ago about his avatar, a boat I built. He said he was building a Zipp SLR and asked for paint codes. I messaged him today regarding sales and as of yet no reply, he was on last Friday at 12:10 PM. Sadly we cannot prevent this kind of thing from happening, looks like he joined a couple months ago and posted more than enough to meet the selling criteria. Many of us, myself included use Paypal F&F to avoid the ever increasing PP fees. While most on here are trusted members his joining in September and no prior selling history might have been a point for caution. All we can do at this point is hope something happened that has temporarily inhibited his ability to post. If anyone receives a message or other form of comm please post it here on this thread.

I was just looking at some of the pics he posted of products that I purchased, and the ones I found are pulled straight from Google 'images' , so it may indicate that he had no items to sell in the beginning, such a shame

As an example , the pic attached for the K&B 45 outboard I purchased is from google images - and pinterest.com to be exact - so a scammer for sure - I wished I had realized before I bought so many items from him

Attachments

• K&B45ob.JPG
    K&B45ob.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 52
I was just looking at some of the pics he posted of products that I purchased, and the ones I found are pulled straight from Google 'images' , so it may indicate that he had no items to sell in the beginning, such a shame
He had enough smarts to scam all of us like that. I will give him that. I wonder how many other forums he has done this too. He must have seen all of the sales that said ff and thought hey I can take advantage of that. Waited for his moment after chatting a bit with people and struck. I have had so many good dealings with people on here so I wont let this sour my experience but I will be more cautious if there less that a year member and not have sold anything.

The Nova 21 I purchased from Brian Calabrese was also pulled of google images

below is the google image on 'worthpoint.com' and then the sale image by Brian (who I think is also Chris Doherty)

Attachments

• nova21m.JPG
    nova21m.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 62
  • nova21m2.JPG
    nova21m2.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 70
He got me for that pum26 gas engine for 165 and he pm me said he had another os outboard he would sell me for 185 and I sent him money for that . so he got me for 2 engines. Darnit.
He sold me that same OS motor for 175....what I don’t understand is that one of the mods on this page was going to buy something but he said he could not take a company check. That red flag should hae been enough to notify all members that this could be a fraudulent member. So I am also out 175
If there are credit cards involved on PP you may be able to challenge the payments.
you may be gable to contact your bank or credit card company but if you pay using friends and family then PayPal doesn’t let you dispute it

For those that don't know, if you're on a pc, (and using chrome) just right click an image and select "search google for image" if you get a hit and it's posted anywhere else other than IW you might want to question the sale. Some guys will list on multiple places, so consider that as well.

He almost got me for the 3.5 KB ....I was real close to buying that from him...
Another thing to watch for is someone unloading a lot of stuff in a short period of time... individual items,, low priced for quick sale.

For those that don't know, if you're on a pc, (and using chrome) just right click an image and select "search google for image" if you get a hit and it's posted anywhere else other than IW you might want to question the sale. Some guys will list on multiple places, so consider that as well.
That`s a good tip. I didn`t even think about it as I tend to trust people on this forum.
I found the engine I bought listed in a German webshop.... Lesson learned. (lessons usually comes with a pricetag 😅 )

I searched his profile photo and it was a photo off intl waters as well.

I just tried to send a penny to both his emails and he closed his paypal accounts. I couldn't even leave him a message that way . the Dana calabrese is not a valid one either. I am just sick for all of us on this.

Ive just came across this thread, and not good.
Maybe moving forward with all new sales post. the photos must contain the written information.
1) the written date the post for sale will be made
2) The written mane of the seller.
3) International waters rc
That way we know the person posting the item for sale has the item.
Ive been message no long ago about my big GP hydro that someone was claiming the owed and was selling on another forum. lucky I proved via the 3 point above I owed and still had the hydro so the listing was pulled and the fake seller was band from the site.

One good thing, he had everything people were looking for, and at a good price too. I've been taken by people like this as well. Do your home work on strangers you don't know. Fred, let me know when we're going to England, I have a guy in Sweden that I need to visit

Back