charging lipos

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Pirrone

hi all

this is prob a silly ????? can you charge lipo through bal leads only or do you need to use bal and power leads to charge it up

my question relates to flow meters that only have the bal lead hanging out do i have to open up init to charge

cheers rick :)

hi all

this is prob a silly ????? can you charge lipo through bal leads only or do you need to use bal and power leads to charge it up

my question relates to flow meters that only have the bal lead hanging out do i have to open up init to charge

cheers rick :)
Hi, Rick! With flow meter you got balance/charger designate to charge battery from balance plug. May be different chargers will need to connect both discharge and balance plugs. Boris

When balance charge all of my LiPo batterys I connect the discharge leads and the balance leads. I have never tried it any other way. Have I been wasting my time all along.
Yes and no! Low discharge RX, TX batteries should be charged balance leads. "Big" (2200 and more) batteries charged with 3-5C rate need to connect both. Boris

Last edited by a moderator:
This depends on the charger. There are in line balancers that actually plug into the banana outputs and charge entirely through the balance plug. Ones like this only use the balance plug http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMGS7&P=7

Those are few and far between. 99.9% of the time your balancing chargers being run in balnce mode will absolutely need both the discharge/charge wire connected in addition to the balance plug.

On low amperage discharge packs you can get away with only charging through the discharge/charge lead in LiPo regular charge mode but I don't actually know why you would want to. Use them both everytime and be safe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I would hate to put 5A or more thru those small leads. Might get a little hot. The reason Boris flow meter has the balance leads hanging out to to check the cell charge.

hi all

well i tried to charge the lipo through the bal leads and it didnt like it (connection break)

al sorted just extended the discharge leads and hung them out too

thanks all for your time

cheers rick

Back