Carb Optimizing

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty Davis

Many years ago, I found a guy who was one of the leading "Flow Bench Experts". I used to offer a service to optimize our boat carbs and the performance gain was really amazing. I lost touch with him for 10 years and earlier this year I found him with a ton of searching.

I asked him if he still played with carbs and his flow bench. He said occasionally so I asked him if he would do a couple carbs for me. I was asked to test a couple prototypes some time ago and I send one of those to him. What I got back with the 2 carbs was exactly as I had years ago, substantial performance and the characteristic of the carb richening up at the top end of the rpm. That has been missing for a long time with all the carbs that I have run.

So, the reason for this post is that I want to see how much interest people have in getting some carbs optimized. I will ask him about his charge and see if this will work for our people.

If you have an interest in this, let me know by posting here. No guarantees, as I have not made a deal with my flow guy at this point.

I remember when you first started doing that Marty. I think about 1999...about 18 years ago.

I never did use that service. Maybe I should give it a go now?

Do you need to know details of the engine and peripherals, such as fuel, pipe, tank, boat, ect?

I think I am past due for some amazing performance gain.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember when you first started doing that Marty. I think about 1999...about 18 years ago.

I never did use that service. Maybe I should give it a go now?

Do you need to know details of the engine and peripherals, such as fuel, pipe, tank, boat, ect?

I think I am past due for some amazing performance gain.
He needs to know where you want the fuel curve to be, that's about it. I believe that he just makes it better all over but can tweak the mixture where you want it. For me, I seem to always run out of richness at the top of the curve, especially with the .21 engines. That is what he helped with on the Albritton carb and the MAC carb that I sent him.

Last edited by a moderator:
This post is not to try to put anyone down. It is to answer a question that I am being repeatedly asked.

I have been asked by some of the boaters (more than just one or two) that are using the Zoom carbs if they could benefit from this carb optimizing. My answer is I do not see how. The Zoom carbs have already been optimized not only by the adjustments that can be used on "Stock" carbs but also by its very design. The fuel curve that is used by each size Zoom carb is what I have found to be the best suited to that particular engine size. This was not only accomplished by the hundreds of hours of testing using a very accurate flow bench, the years of building hundreds of Zoom carbs but also with the help of the feedback from on-the-water testing by some of the best boaters.

Charles

Back