Can Bladerunner EVER handle????

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrewg

Article and a short vid on making the Bladerunner perform and handle is up at fastelectrics.com

see it at www.fastelectrics.com

I read your artical. Wow that video is cooking! Have you given up on the idea of a counter-rotating twin prop setup? In the intrest of scale looks, I would like to try two props on my BR. Twin 05 or a 700 on a twin out-put gear drive. 12-14 cells either way. What do you think would be best?

Andrew, go in and do an Edit so that you can add an extra "C" in your link. I do the same thing when I type in "eleCtric"

Thanks Ron and Doug

James

The twin motor setup is constrained by two things the width of the centre hull 78mm and the width of motors and the wear rates of various motors

if you put in two 05's (which have a diameter of 36mm) the drive shafts will be 42 mm (uncooled motors) apart. In short you must run small props like the 30mm Octura (a pity because they have 42mm L&R)

This means you must have high revving motors about 1000 rpm for every mph in the boat ie very high revving and very high wear 33mph = 33000 rpm - you would be lucky to get more than 3 packs before you were tearing them down

You could try a 480 setup. With water cooling these 27mm diameter motor could be mounted so the drive shafts were 44mm apart. Enough for 42 mm props - just. But I am not sure the motors would handle them. So you go to Neo 480s (2*$75) which will pull those props on 7 cells you still only have 33 mph.

You could go to two brushless like the 16/15/3 (2*$85) paralleled off 8 cells using 42mm props. same speed no wear

Or you could put in two small brushless like the Lightning BL 5600 (2*$95) and X430's and 8 cells to each one and run 37 mph - then you have to make room for water cooling which means cutting the hull.

All in all I decided it was a simpler and far cheaper to use a single motor and modify the hull

Andrew

What about one BIG motor in the middle into a dual output gearbox?

(Oops...James asked that already.)

OR...........stagger two 05s and angle them outward at the rear and run flexi from them.

* dual output gearbox - do you know of one with counterotating output shafts? i dont

* y -not 05's w- pure and simple wear and maintenance and because a good sized pop wont fit on the rear

I would try two Graupner 480 outboards if I could find them

Andrew

I would scrachbuild the gearbox, but i like the twin 05 idea better. I have two sets (4) long can, can motors. I would use wire drives with the props moved apart so I could use the 42mm L&R props. The props probably need to be cut down some anyways to work direct drive.

Back