Calling all Mutt I onwers

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kez

Bought a sport 40 hull and deck shell from a IW member three years ago. I later learned it was a Mutt I. A move and a new job put the project on hold until this past winter.

Mark A was nice to answer all my questions through PMs. I am at a point where I need to mount the fuel tank(s) before gluing on the deck. I understand the tank is to mount under the right deck. Started to make a mould for a fuel cell but I quickly realize a Sullivan 12oz tank is too tall and will not fit. There is only room for a 6oz tank.

Any other options regarding the location of the fuel tank? If it has to go under the right deck, I am now considering opening up an access panel in the tunnel floor; rather than making a fuel cell. I can get an extra 1/2" this way.

Anyone tried mounting the fuel tank in the front and the radio box in the rear?

Your inputs are much appreciated.

Kez

Kez

I just went out to the shop and grabbed Eric's MUTT 1. We used two 4oz tanks right at the engine mount under the right deck and a 2 oz beside the carb on the left.Both were in glass cells. I am not sure who has the molds at this point but they still exist some where. I would not suggest a hatch in the bottom unless you made a sealed compartment. I don't like the chance of fuel and oil inside the boat.

Mark

Kez

I just went out to the shop and grabbed Eric's MUTT 1. We used two 4oz tanks right at the engine mount under the right deck and a 2 oz beside the carb on the left.Both were in glass cells. I am not sure who has the molds at this point but they still exist some where. I would not suggest a hatch in the bottom unless you made a sealed compartment. I don't like the chance of fuel and oil inside the boat.

Mark
Thanks a lot Mark. I can certainly fit two 4oz tanks. Perhaps even two 6oz tanks.

Did you beef up the opening of the fuel well? With the vibration of the engine, I am concerned that the corners of the opening will be a stress riser and cracks may develop there.

Kez

The tank well has a flange that glues to the engine well side. It is put in after the boat is joined from inside engine well. The engine mount is rubber mounted so there is little vibration in the hull.

Mark

If you need photos of how we set them up I can take some of my old boat next Thursday . The boat is down at Marks so I won't see it till next "Boat" night. If I remember correct we made fuel tank wells by waxing up some foam and laying glass over that. Wow that was years ago.

Thanks Mark and Eric for the information. Yes I would appreciate additional photos. That will certainly help me complete the boat.

I like the waxed foam plug idea. I started making a solid plug out of 2X4 with taper cut on a miter saw. It is a lot of work so I might start over using some pink foam.

I did not like the 1/8 ply that I glued to the engine well. I can see lots of trapped bubbles. So now I am drilling small holes in those voids to try to fill them with epoxy.

I do not have a cowl. Do you think a Dumas Hotshot sprint cowl can be trimmed to fit?

Thanks,

Kez

I'll get you photos on Thursday. I was going to ask about the wood but I forgot that your hull is not joined. Mark never let them out of the shop when he was making them until they were joined. That cowell mold was a plaster one if I remember. I wonder if it's still around? I will take photos of my old boat and cowell so you can see how we used to do it.

This thread is 12 years old. In between switching jobs, moving and other priorities, I finally managed to finish the boat and tested it this past weekend.
I do not race. Installed an OS 46VRM and mostly home made hardware from the strut, the engine mount to the rudder and turn fin.
Omega Heli 12% is the only fuel left at my LHS. I used an X448 for the first run.
The throttle linkage popped off shortly before shooting this clip. The throttle was stuck open at 80% or something. I kept it close to shore until the fuel ran out.
Many thanks to Mark and Eric for replying to my emails. That was 12 years ago!

Cool, I use to the OS VRM back in the day. Awesome little motors until you ran them a little lean. Then the disk pin keeper would let go and ruin the motor. Nice to see a Mutt get back on the water.
Mike

Last edited:
The OS 46 VRM motors I ran late 90s early 2000‘s were all disc rotor. That includes one I bought from Tower brand new in probably 96-97 time frame. Now the OS 65 VRM changed from disk to drum and added the 9b carb some time in the 90’s. I ran the updated version of those. In the 46 I had a rod oval out on the crank pin and I had a set of upgraded bearings let go and take out the p&s but I never had the rotor pin problem fortunately. Still have some of these motors. I switched to Picco in the early 2000’s and shortly after that I got out of the hobby for 20 years and now I’m back. Still have the Piccos too, the 67 Blue Head and 45 Black Head with parts for both. I plan on doing something with these at some point but for now I am going to use CMB. Boy I wish the motors were as cheap as they were back then!

Latest posts

Back