Cable and stub shafts

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marty,

Save your worn out 3.5 and 7.5 K&B prop shafts, it’s easy-peasy to replace the lead-teflon bushings with some simple tooling. I did this routinely back in my K&B days, but as has been said they won’t last too long - and the bushings are relatively inexpensive, Gary normally carries them (Octura brand).

Wallster

I get my bushings from McMaster Carr, they last longer than the lead Teflon, but not by much. 

Marty
I don't have any new ones. But can send you a tool to rebuild both stub shaft sizes

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I probably got bushings too, I'll send with tool.
2122 N. STATE ROUTE 61
BOONVILLE, IN. 47601

Thnx Carl. That's what it's all about for. Help people & if I win a heat here & there that's ok too...

Carl,

I'm using the stock shaft that comes with the stock K & B unit. I replace the teflon bushings in the housing with a precision machined, shoulder type, Barium metal bushing which is pressed in. The drive dog rides against the teflon washer & the shoulder type bushing. The stuffing tube is a hard brass tubing with a grease fitting. No wear or failure problems of any kind! 

Jim Allen

View attachment 100270

View attachment 100271
Jim, Where are you buying your bushings?

Carl

I don't know as I only have an old Hyperformance lower that I run. Maybe Mic H. can help here.

Jim, Where are you buying your bushings?
Carl,

I didn't by the bushings. I machined them from Bearium (B-8 grade) solid stock. The bushing protrudes out some on the front side & it is a "snug fit" in the stock K & B housing, with a shoulder on the back side. The drive dog is a hardened piece that rides against the teflon washer.The standard K & B prop shaft is a slip fit in the bushing. Bearium metal is a non-seizing, non scoring, long wearing, self lubricating, low coefficient of friction, high shock load, high compressive strength, rough cast cored or solid bar material available in 13 inch lengths. The bushings service life as well as the stock shaft appears to be indefinite!

Jim Allen

Last edited by a moderator:
Marty I got package today. Will ship yours in day or 2.

Carl,

I didn't by the bushings. I machined them from Bearium (B-8 grade) solid stock. The bushing protrudes out some on the front side & it is a "snug fit" in the stock K & B housing, with a shoulder on the back side. The drive dog is a hardened piece that rides against the teflon washer.The standard K & B prop shaft is a slip fit in the bushing. Bearium metal is a non-seizing, non scoring, long wearing, self lubricating, low coefficient of friction, high shock load, high compressive strength, rough cast cored or solid bar material available in 13 inch lengths. The bushings service life as well as the stock shaft appears to be indefinite!

Jim Allen
Great info! Looks like you have it sorted Jim. If you ever have 1 or 2 you would part with please let me know. 

Jim, any clue as to what alloy or the properties are with the OS prop shaft bushing? 

Do you have a supplier you recommend for the Bearium? I can find plenty of info on it, except where to buy it. 

Jim, any clue as to what alloy or the properties are with the OS prop shaft bushing? 

Do you have a supplier you recommend for the Bearium? I can find plenty of info on it, except where to buy it. 
I have no idea what is being used by any of the manufacturers for prop shafts or bushings. The two original developers of the Bearium alloys sold the company to Metal Tek International. All of the original alloys are still being made with even greater applications being found in the bearing industry. The person to contact is Denise Kline; 262-544-7813. When I purchased the B-8 alloy in 1984 the price was $4.50/ lb. I have no idea what the present day price would be.

JA

https://www.metaltek.com/

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back