Buid a custom metal Gas tank

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeMischnick

Hi 

Seasons greetings, I need to build custom tank (Its been 30 + years since I have done this.) Here is the question. What is the best material to use to make the tank and most importantly, Where do I get it?

Thanks for the help.
Mike

Hi John, Thanks but no thanks, I really enjoy building and am not to bad at it. I look forward to the project. I just need the materials I have spent the last10 years racing slot cars and still have the touch with the soldering iron. 

Thanks

Mike

go ahead and use K+S tin.. (.008"). its easy to bend and VERY durable. Then.. use HARD brass tubing and anneal it.. then bend. dont use the soft brass tubing.. Then.. contact Doug Carter here on this forum (Metime productions) and some time ago I did a fuel tank building tutorial. I suspect he still has the video...

Enjoy.. building a tank is fun!

Grim

Paul, could you post it in the forum?  I'd love to learn how to build tanks as well and, when you consider Grim has probably forgotten more than I've learned, it would be a good place to start

I built 2 tanks a few years back, also out of stainless steel. Was not an easy job but the video helped a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm curious as to what gauge Walt and John are building their tanks with, 

and also what grade of stainless- 304 or 316?... 316 appears to have the

most corrosive resistant properties.

Looks like a long, cold winter is ahead of us here and thought maybe I'd

give tank fab a try, since I need a Walt style hopper tank for my E/F rigger.

Thanks.

go ahead and use K+S tin.. (.008"). its easy to bend and VERY durable. Then.. use HARD brass tubing and anneal it.. then bend. dont use the soft brass tubing.. Then.. contact Doug Carter here on this forum (Metime productions) and some time ago I did a fuel tank building tutorial. I suspect he still has the video...

Enjoy.. building a tank is fun!

Grim
Grim, when you say 'HARD' brass tubing, what grade do you refer to-

C330, C330, C464 (Naval), or C770 (silverish colored)?...

Thanks

I use .010 304 stainless steel 

Tubing is high grade medical grade stainless Tubing they make needles out of

I put it together with stay Brite silver solider and acid flux 

If you are going to try and build you a tank I recommend you do not use brass tubing in any tank

Especially if you are going to mount the hopper to the floor of the tank the brass tubing eventually crack and split

Then your tank is no good  I recommend a floating hopper you will never have any problems  

That is just my recommendation you build it how ever you want 

Thanks john 

I use .010 304 stainless steel 

Tubing is high grade medical grade stainless Tubing they make needles out of

I put it together with stay Brite silver solider and acid flux 

If you are going to try and build you a tank I recommend you do not use brass tubing in any tank

Especially if you are going to mount the hopper to the floor of the tank the brass tubing eventually crack and split

Then your tank is no good  I recommend a floating hopper you will never have any problems  

That is just my recommendation you build it how ever you want 

Thanks john 
Thank you, John...

I agree with Tom F about the Brass tubing I use 302 Stainless because it is a lot less expensive than 304, and steel prices are going up. I agree with John do not mount a header tank on the bottom of the tank,  be sure to bend the steel to as close to the pattern that you can it will save a lot of solder, and the tanks will look a lot better, the shine on the tank outsides means nothing, it's how well the tank works in your boat.

Walt Barney

Tanks 2 U

Walt's Hobbies

Last edited by a moderator:
Walt if you are referring to my tanks shinning I do that to make my tanks stand out and to remove 

Any unwanted weight on the tank and I feel if you take all that time to make your boat look awesome  

With professional paint jobs and custom decals and awesome engine bays I want my customers to get a awesome working tank and a awesome looking tank that's just me I build my tanks out of the love of building them and in the hope of when that person opens that box and takes that tank out he knows he got the the most amazing fuel tank he could buy            

That is just my thoughts 

Tom.. NAILED IT.. yes.. do as Tom stated.

Very simple and will last the life of the tank!

Grim

I agree with Tom F about the Brass tubing I use 302 Stainless because it is a lot less expensive than 304, and steel prices are going up. I agree with John do not mount a header tank on the bottom of the tank,  be sure to bend the steel to as close to the pattern that you can it will save a lot of solder, and the tanks will look a lot better, the shine on the tank outsides means nothing, it's how well the tank works in your boat.

Walt Barney

Tanks 2 U

Walt's Hobbies
Yeah, I think I'll just have you do this tank, too, Walt... you did such a nice job on

my 45 tank.  :)

Back